Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.6.1 start-up/shut-down slowdown

10.6.1 start-up/shut-down slowdown
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2009, 07:03 PM

I did a clean install on Snow Leopard on my uMB(2008), and start-up/shut-dows seem to be noticeably slower than when i had upgraded from Leopard on the same machine.
start-up times:
upgrade from Leopard: 30-40sec
clean install:60-75sec

I've selected the 'start up' disc in System Preferences, but that hasnt helped..... anyone have any idea as to why it's slowed down on a fresh install. login items and apps installed are the same in both cases.

Cheers

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2009, 03:43 AM

Maybe it hasn't cached everything yet.

If I were you I'd restore Leopard from a TM backup with MA (or from a clone with Disk Utility) and then do the SL upgrade install the way it's intended. You already know results are better.

Although clean installs are frequent advice in the Windows world, in the Mac (or Linux for that matter) world they are not known to give consistently better results or offer any kind of magical improvement. In the end the clean install is just more work and costs a lot of time.

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2009, 07:36 PM

Same problem here.

Two machines...early 2008 Mac Pro, and a MacBook Pro 15. MacBook updates saw no problems, and start-up/shut-down are speedy. The problem is with the Mac Pro.

Upgrades were done per the recommended method; no clean installs, just upgrades. Now, with 10.6.2, there's no improvement. About 30 second start-up on the Mac Pro. Everything runs fine, and fast. It's just that I've lost the start-up speed (which is darn near instant on my MacBook Pro.)

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2009, 10:02 PM

Odd, my MacBook Pro shuts down quickly, but start up is very long now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules