Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Will iSight work with a PC?

Will iSight work with a PC?
Buck_W
Senior User
Jan 19, 2005, 11:10 PM

My daughter's friends at her school are envious of her iSight and iChat on her Mac. Unfortunately, they all have PC's, but they wanted to know whether or not the iSight camera would work on a PC? Does anybody know?

Thanks
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

juusan
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2005, 12:23 AM

I'm not aware of a pc that has a firewire port that will fit the isight's plug.
-> 20" iMac Core Duo, 1GB RAM, lame superdrive that burns at 2x
-> MacBook Pro 2GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM
-> MacBook 2.16GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM

jebjeb
Senior User
Jan 20, 2005, 06:52 AM

As long as you have a 6 pin firewire port on you pc it will be fine. Most PCs may only have a 4 pin one but I know mine has both. I am not sure if the iSight will work if you use a 6pin to 4 pin cable or converter (as it may need the power the 6 pin supplies).

On the PC, the video will work but it cannot (as far as I know and last checked but there may be a fix out there by now) use audio. You will need to use a separate mic.

Otherwise it is fine.

It does seem like it is an expensive option for a PC. They may be impressed with the iSight and iChat but remember you can't get iChat for the pc and the other clients bite if you ask me. It seems as though it would be a more expensive and complicated option for a solely PC user to get an iSight. They would be better getting something that works straight out of the box and is fully supported otherwise they might even start blaming Apple for "products that don't work" even though it was not made for the purpose (use on a PC).

Get them to buy a Mac mini then iChat and the iSight will be fine!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules