Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is this Sys Log telling me my modem's fried?

Is this Sys Log telling me my modem's fried?
PER3
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2003, 02:45 PM

Two days ago, my PB 667DVI stopped connecting to the internet, saying that it could not find the communication device. Although this has happened before and the problem righted itself, this time there has been no reprieve. I've tried reinstalling and starting up off firewire drives (and using DiskWarrior and Onyx), but no go.

When I run the Apple Hardware Test CD (extended), I am told that everything has passed, but the modem report just says 'Device found', which I guess could mean anything - 'found functioning normally'. or 'found in a pool of blood near the lift'.

Looking at System Profile, I read:

Modem Information:

Firmware Version: APPLE VERSION 2.6.1
Driver: InternalUSBModem.kext (v2.6.1)
Modem: MicroDash (V.92) Australia 7.0
Interface Type: USB

and when I check the System log, I see:

Dec 29 21:21:25 pppd[440]: pppd 2.4.2b1 started by root, uid 0
Dec 29 21:21:56 localhost kernel: InternalModemSupport::acquirePort -- ERROR -- InternalUSBModem.kext did not load after 0000030.001 seconds
Dec 29 21:21:56 localhost kernel: InternalModemSupport::acquirePort: still no modem after powering on the modem
Dec 29 21:21:56 localhost pppd[440]: Failed to open /dev/cu.modem: Device busy
Dec 29 21:21:56 localhost pppd[440]: Exit.

If anyone could help me interpret this or give me a tip before I make an expensive trip to Apple (my warranty is not valid in Russia), I'd be very thankful. I am somehow hoping that there may be a firmware mistake in the modem itself (if it is not the kext referred to in the Sys profile), but I have the feeling that when the Sys Log says that the device is busy (as also happens when FaxSTF hijacks the modem), it might simply mean that it is busy being dead.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2003, 05:58 PM

It could be. That is what I would gather from the log file.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

PER3  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2003, 05:56 PM

Typoon,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still trying to find a software solution, but in the meantime have also looked at several modem replacements and have been a bit surprised at the price differentials.

From PowerBookMedicCom, a replacement will cost $29.95

From PBParts.com it will be $69.00, but this is for G4 Titanium (Gigabit) 550MHz/667MHz, which I guess is not 667 DVI.

From PowerBook Guy it is $139.95
(Apple 56k Internal Modem for PowerBook G4 Titanium DVI 667/800 & 867/1Ghz (used) - $139.95 )

Do you have any idea about these price differentials? Is PowerBookMedicCom just making noise or is PowerBook Guy just charging as it is supplying Apple parts?

Do you have any idea if PowerBookMedicCom is cool or not? For me, $100 saving is not something to be ignored.

Thanks,

PER

-Q-
Dec 30, 2003, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by PER3:
If anyone could help me interpret this or give me a tip before I make an expensive trip to Apple (my warranty is not valid in Russia),
Can't help with the modem issue, but I wanted to know if you were sure your warranty wasn't valid? I thought AppleCare covered laptops no matter where they are in the world? I know the desktops are only valid in the country of origin, but I thought the PBs were under a different policy...

PER3  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2003, 06:58 PM

I think that the laptops are supposed to be covered everywhere, but the last time I tried two years ago here in Moscow, they simply refused to fix a dead power board under warranty (for my old Pismo). Either I had not read the small print closely enough, or they just didn't want to help. In some countries, I think that international warranty is not applicable.

What to do in such a situation when you have another 6 months before going home? I went to another Apple endorsed shop and forked out US$134 to get the job done.

aderium
Jan 6, 2004, 04:53 AM

I have the same trouble and I found out it is a common issue that Apple has resolved with a Modem Update.

Follow the link
apple discussion modem update

Lemme know.

Bye

Forum Links
Forum Rules