Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > LinuxMCE: home automation

LinuxMCE: home automation
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2007, 03:08 PM

This is a very cool project:

LinuxMCE

This is a complete home automation system that combines the functionality of MythTV with other things such as security cameras, "follow me" which allows your media to follow you from room to room somehow, remote activation of events via your cellphone. Obviously this requires some additional hardware, but this is all quite Star Trekian!

Railroader
Banned
Mar 23, 2007, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
which allows your media to follow you from room to room somehow
I call it "iPod Video". It's all in the palm of my hand, is small and easy to carry, and its better than a Trek Tricoder

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2007, 03:56 PM

Here is a good (although probably biased) review/overview of LinuxMCE:

LinuxMCE 1.0 Demo video - Google Video

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2007, 04:01 PM

The gyro control deal is very interesting in this demo too...

Lots of interesting features implemented in an interesting way, such as automatic dimming of lights when movies start, remote control of your security and climate control through your cell phone, etc.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 23, 2007, 04:07 PM

Looks like you've got me beat, 3 posts for you out of four in your own thread!!! Good job!

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2007, 04:10 PM

Railroader: all you are managing to do is entertain me really... Do have any idea how transparent your grudge of me comes across, and how desperate you seem following me around just looking for an excuse to pick a fight with me?

You don't like me, fine, why not just leave me alone? Is your life this devoid of joy?

Railroader
Banned
Mar 23, 2007, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by marden View Post
besson3c: all you are managing to do is entertain me really... Do have any idea how transparent your grudge of me comes across, and how desperate you seem following me around just looking for an excuse to pick a fight with me?

You don't like me, fine, why not just leave me alone? Is your life this devoid of joy?
Indeed.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 23, 2007, 04:15 PM

BTW: I am doing nothing different to what you do in other people's threads. The fact that you can't see that, is amazing.

I am done here. Enjoy your thread.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2007, 04:19 PM

What would MacNN do without Railroader and Kevin making sure the place remains civil and harmonious?

Anyway...

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2007, 04:24 PM

my lights dim when a movie starts but i have a fixed movie screen so i don't need to worry about the dropping down. but i could.

all with my remote.

button macro 1 (movie): projector comes on and warms up; delay; a/v gear comes on; dvd 1 turns on; movie starts; lights dim to a movie level; theremostat off so heat or air won't turn on during a movie (i can turn it back on if it is a particular cold a humid day in the basement).

button macro 2 (sports): projector comes on and warms up; delay; a/v gear comes on; cable box turns on, changes to sports center HD; lights dim to a tv watching level.

button macro 3 (party): projector comes on and warms up; delay; a/v gear comes on; LCD in game room comes on; dvd 2 turns on; dvd full of music videos plays; lights full on.

button macro4: every thing on

my security cameras are always on; fed to unused cable channel from my quad processor. press of a button, i see my 4 video camera views.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2007, 04:26 PM

What are you using to do all that with Evil?

Most of this stuff is new to me, but is certainly interesting to talk about from an HCID perspective.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2007, 04:48 PM

i didn't get everything at smarthome, but these are the easiest links with photos:

cameras (greyfox):
2 Color Bullet Camera Kit - F7644 (+2 b/w infrared for outdoor; 1 showing each door) it cycles through my camera views automatically. i do have a

channel modulater (greyfox):
Frequency Agile Modulator - F1001

remote:
MX-850 Aeros IR/RF PC Program Remote

thermostat:
X10 Bi-Directional HVAC System RCS TXB-16

distribution structured box (greyfoxl)
Structured Wiring Distribution - FoxBox - F7810

the distribution box is awesome; i have dual cat 6 and dual quad-shielded coax to every room back to the distribution panel as well as the cameras, channel modulator etc. all snap-in to the box and can move easily if upgrading a piece.

1st cat 6 is for network in each room; 2nd cat 6 is for future use in most rooms, but in use by other devices in other rooms (like a printer in one, XTV in another). 1st coax is for cable or dish, 2nd coax is for in-house channel. right now i run the video cameras through it. if i want to send for example the same movie to every room; i have to manually change the input. i will upgrade the single channel modulator to a 4 channel modulator later and i won't have to do that; i could send video cameras on one channel, dvd player on another, etc.

edit: oh yeah, and various other X10 stuff; light dimmers for example: Dimmers & Lighting - Smarthome

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2007, 04:54 PM

That's a pretty slick system you have residentEvil

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2007, 05:01 PM

been buying pieces for a while. when i lived in the loft downtown, it was all brick and concrete. i couldn't get wires where i needed switches, etc. sooo, X10 and remote control was what i needed. then when i bought my house; first thing i did was rewire it (coax, network and power). took 2 years or so to get everything done the way i wanted it to be controlled. piece by piece; waiting for deals on pricing, etc. like the remote; i paid $199 for it, not $400. screw that

i slowly turned on pieces of the automation as things were bought. started with a clear plan so i could upgrade as i went along.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2007, 05:07 PM

Do you have any pictures of your setup Evil? Sounds like you have a pretty cool rig there!

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2007, 05:09 PM

i can take some new ones; a few old ones where posted before...

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2007, 05:26 PM

here are a few photos of the theater and the game room:

Index of /hta

i suck at taking photos. if there is anything you want described, let me know. you can also see in one of the game rooms photos a little of my not so much anymore kitten yah kitty!

Forum Links
Forum Rules