Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Why Did My Xserve Shutdown

Why Did My Xserve Shutdown
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2011, 09:43 AM

I have a bit of a mystery on my hands. I woke up this morning and my Xserve was powered down. It was down for about 45 minutes, then it booted back up. I'm waiting to hear back from my data center about power failures, but besides that... Is there any logs anywhere I can lookup that will give me a hint as to why caused this mac to shutdown? It is set to reboot after a power failure or after a crash. And my data center has a diesel backup that doesn't take 45 minutes to get going. This is quite a mystery. There is nothing in the console or system.log that indicate anything. It just stops at 8:30 and starts up again at 9:18ish. Also CPU graphs clearly indicate that the server was off during that period, not just off the network. Strange.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2011, 10:46 AM

Search the system log for the word shutdown. It will give you a reason by way of a code. You will probably need Apple to get the code deciphered for you. Probably best not to tell them its an Xserve, as they will panic and/or try to charge you lots of money. The codes are the same for all Macs and you will likely need to get escalated to someone who has the list of codes. AASPs have to check them with Service Provider Support.

Or you can google it, as someone will invariably have had it happen already.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2011, 10:49 AM

There is no shutdown in the system log. I'm beginning to suspect my data center was having power issues and the power simply went out for 45 minutes. Still waiting to hear back from them.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2011, 11:20 AM

So I was looking before the shutdown. Turns out there's a message after it booted back up:

Mar 22 09:18:06 localhost kernel[0]: ApplePMU:MU forced shutdown, cause = -122

Which I find means that either the power supply is having problems, or the power went out. Since it was off for 45 minutes then came right back on, and since server monitor says everything is good, and since while it was down, I didn't receive the usual auto-responses from my data center's tech support email address, I'm going to say that they probably had a power failure. I'll see what they say if they ever respond.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2011, 11:22 AM

Perhaps forums should only turn text into smilies if they have a space on both sides. If there are no spaces. maybe it's part of the text.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2011, 11:44 AM

Yup it was a data center power failure, mystery solved. Well, aside from how a data center with all it's backup systems, managed to have a power failure in the first place.

P
Mar 22, 2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
Perhaps forums should only turn text into smilies if they have a space on both sides. If there are no spaces. maybe it's part of the text.
Try the code tag:

Code:
:P
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules