Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > What would get someone banned?

What would get someone banned?
Fallout
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2002, 06:57 PM

???

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2002, 07:33 PM

Well, there's a number of people that still post here that should be banned, but they are all "unregistered" users. You probably know why.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2002, 01:32 AM

It's not something that's done lightly. I could count the number of people who've ever been banned from here on one hand (at least, as far back as my own memory serves). It takes a lot more than an isolated trolling incident, or even a string of them.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2002, 11:04 AM

Now, I'm starting top know why this "Wiggles" character dissapeared from us recently. Could his IP have been blocked?
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

agentz
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2002, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by Jansar:
<STRONG>Now, I'm starting top know why this "Wiggles" character dissapeared from us recently. Could his IP have been blocked?</STRONG>
Maybe, but IP blocking only works in certain circumstances... for instance it would be easy to block me from posting from work as all http traffic from our network is presented from a single IP address, but from home my IP address is different on a per-session basis. Ok, so, an IP subnet could be blocked but that could affect multiple users, and my ISP has a range of subnets becuase they have something like 75 seperately addressable POPs across the country, and I can pick and choose which one I use.

Maybe its as simple as a) the person/persons posting got bored and went away, or b) somebody registered Wiggles (somebody in the lounge said they'd done it).

Personally, I think if unregistered users trolling is a problem then forcing users to register before they can post is a good thing (some moderators would agree, some would disagree), but I honestly don't think that its too big a problem on this board. And if people didn't continually reply to trolls they'd get bored soon enough and go away

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: agentz ]
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules