Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > how many white spots do you have on your 15" powerbook screen?

View Poll Results: How many white spots do you have one you 15" powerbook screen
Poll Options:
0 37 votes (57.81%)
1 13 votes (20.31%)
2 4 votes (6.25%)
more than 2 10 votes (15.63%)
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll
how many white spots do you have on your 15" powerbook screen?
spalding12
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 11:15 PM

Enjoy the ride... not just the destination

docholiday
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2003, 12:47 AM

What are white spots?? Dead pixels?

omegahack
Sep 26, 2003, 12:56 AM

i have one white spot 2 dead pixels and the screen is totaly messed up. (it is displaying yellow lines down the whole thing) needless to say i am getting it replaced as soon as CompUSA gets some more in.

PeterKG
Senior User
Sep 26, 2003, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by spalding12:
I had one on my first one but Apple quickly replaced it with a perfect new one.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

eightoeight
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 01:17 AM

What is everyone doing about their white spots? I can only see mine when it's on white or something light.

What should I do...call Apple?

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2003, 01:42 AM

I have two clusters of white (actually "light" since they are not white, just lighter than whatever is under them) spots, each cluster having about 5 spots within a one inch area.

The spots are about 3 pixels across, and of varying brightness, but they are all slightly brighter than the rest of the screen. They aren't visible on black, only over some bright color.

In addition, I have eight stuck pixels in various places around the display, away from the light spots. One white, one red, six blue (found one more since my previous post...)

I called AppleCare today, they will be replacing my machine. In addition, they told me that engineering will be looking at my defective display. Seems this is not a totally isolated incident, if people are posting here about it.
( Last edited by arekkusu; Sep 26, 2003 at 01:48 AM. )

smitty825
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 10:03 AM

New Poll Option!

I propose a new poll option:

I haven't received my new AlBook yet, you insensitive clod

gif32
Sep 26, 2003, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by eightoeight:
What should I do...call Apple?
Most definitely call and demand a replacement. I went through 800-APL-CARE, not the Apple store. Mine is supposedly being replaced (not repaired) as soon as Airborne gets their act together and drops off my overnight airbill.

Sakino
Senior User
Sep 26, 2003, 10:59 AM

Isnt there a program that check for these problems. Could you possible point me to the link for this program?

TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2003, 04:53 PM

I have one cluster of maybe 2-3 pixels that are "white". Its about 3" low and left of center. They are VERY obvious when the start up grey screen is up. They have not been noticeable during regular use, although that may change. I havent decided what to do about them. i bought Apple Care so I guess I can call to see if they will replace the machine, especially before I get the drive filled up with data. I'll second the program/link to test pixels. If I have some more dead that I havent noticed it would be nice to know.

Skaar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 05:11 PM

There are two programs, just goto versiontracker.com and type in DEAD PIXEL in the search query.
iMac Core Dou 17" 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM + 20" Dell Widescreen Display
15" PowerBook 1.3GHz

Sakino
Senior User
Sep 26, 2003, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Skaar:
There are two programs, just goto versiontracker.com and type in DEAD PIXEL in the search query.
Thanks my screen is perfect. I been playing with my mac since 12. I skipped my classes when I found out it came in. This thing rocks. It just a pain in the ass getting everything organized.

oooohan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 06:41 PM

I just thought I'd add another sample point...

I have two "light spots" on the left side of my 15" PB screen. I only notice them when there's white underneath, and usually I have to be looking for them.

I'm usually pretty anal about these kinds of things, and in the past, I would have immediately called for a replacement. But for some reason, these spots don't bother me as much as I thought they would. Plus, I feel like I've been waiting so long for this thing...

I guess if for some reason it gets worse, I'll take action.

Otherwise, though, the PB is great!

mmintler
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 06:54 PM

This is a little off topic but the screen problems are concerning me. I'm placing an order for a 15" next week from an online dealer-not apple.

I've owned 2 macs and 2 Apple CRT's and have never had any hardware problems. This is my first portable,sigh....

If I get a book with dead pixels...Will Apple take care of it? Or do I have to deal with the people who sold it to me?

and I'm not planning to buy the Applecare extended warranty.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-
Albert Einstein

PeterKG
Senior User
Sep 26, 2003, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by mmintler:
This is a little off topic but the screen problems are concerning me. I'm placing an order for a 15" next week from an online dealer-not apple.

I've owned 2 macs and 2 Apple CRT's and have never had any hardware problems. This is my first portable,sigh....

If I get a book with dead pixels...Will Apple take care of it? Or do I have to deal with the people who sold it to me?

and I'm not planning to buy the Applecare extended warranty.
Apple has sold thousands of the 15" PB's. Odds are you will not not white spots on your LCD. Do you have an Apple store near you? I would puchase from them. Then in the event you have a problem, they will be easier to work with then AppleCare on the phone.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2003, 07:36 PM

I've got one white spot area on the bottom right of my new 15". I'm obsessing about it for a few days and called Apple about it yesterday. After some time on the phone (I thought the rep was actually pretty good in the things he had me check for), he agreed this could be repaired/replaced. My local dealer had previously said that they would replace if Apple agreed it was a repairable item and had a case number. But I still haven't brought it back because it's something that is much harder to see than a stuck pixel and otherwise the screen is perfect. I agree with some of the other posters that in the past I would have immediately demanded a replacement, but now I don't know if it would be worth it to bother and risk something worse.

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2003, 07:39 PM

The best I think is Pixel Check 1.2. It's at http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/F...cty=US&lang=en . I've used it since it came out and it works great.

Originally posted by Skaar:

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2003, 02:25 AM

There are at least three pixel checking apps on versiontracker. Search for "LCD". Of the three, I think Pixinator is the best since it covers colors other than plain RGBBW. Some of my stuck pixels are hard/impossible to see on bright RGB, but easy to see on other colors like dark blue. (Like the startup screen color.)

Followup on my previous post, Apple will be repairing my AlBook (I assume this means replacing the entire display assembly,) estimated turnaround time is 5-10 business days. Real PITA considering I could just walk into the store an hour away and trade right there if they offered one 512M DIMM in the stock config.

h00ligan
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2003, 02:40 AM

why not tell them to swap the ram chips - in the interest of customer service they should.. i mean, they do have a genious bar for a reason and it isn't liek swapping ram takes a genious.

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2003, 07:51 AM

I got my 15' SD thursday and the screen is perfect.

More than likely your powerbook will be fine.

most of the time its the people with problems that post in these threads, not the ones without problems.

Force

Waveman
Sep 27, 2003, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by oooohan:
I just thought I'd add another sample point...

I have two "light spots" on the left side of my 15" PB screen. I only notice them when there's white underneath, and usually I have to be looking for them.

I'm usually pretty anal about these kinds of things, and in the past, I would have immediately called for a replacement. But for some reason, these spots don't bother me as much as I thought they would. Plus, I feel like I've been waiting so long for this thing...

I guess if for some reason it gets worse, I'll take action.

Otherwise, though, the PB is great!
I have two spots, which I only see when I look for them. I hadn't noticed them originally, but they do bother me a bit now that I know that they're there.

I'd request a replacement from Apple, but I wonder if they check the replacement PB's before they send them out. I'd hate to get a screen that's as bad or worse (e.g., dead or stuck pixels) in return. Also, I don't want to be without the PB for 5-10 business days.

Waveman
Sep 27, 2003, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by bcaslis:
I've got one white spot area on the bottom right of my new 15". I'm obsessing about it for a few days and called Apple about it yesterday. After some time on the phone (I thought the rep was actually pretty good in the things he had me check for), he agreed this could be repaired/replaced. My local dealer had previously said that they would replace if Apple agreed it was a repairable item and had a case number. But I still haven't brought it back because it's something that is much harder to see than a stuck pixel and otherwise the screen is perfect. I agree with some of the other posters that in the past I would have immediately demanded a replacement, but now I don't know if it would be worth it to bother and risk something worse.
A couple of points to consider for anyone planning to ask Apple for a new PB:

1. If Apple agrees to an outright exchange, it would be better to do this an Apple store. That way, you can check out the new PB before you leave.

2. Again, assuming Apple agrees to give you a new PB, wait a few weeks and you'll probably get Panther in the box. (As far as I know, Apple hasn't said whether they'll give current buyers a break when Panther ships.)

wjdennen
Sep 30, 2003, 10:44 PM

Could someone describe these "white spots"? Are they common on TiBooks?

I have a couple of areas that "look funny"... not as crisp as the rest of the screen. They do seem lighter than the rest of the screen.

PapaSmurfDan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2003, 11:22 PM

Is there a picture of these white spots? I am very cerious to see these.

-Dan

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 11:27 PM

I have a Ti that i just bought a little over a month ago. I have white blotches on the screen. About five or six of them. They are not dead pixels but areas about the size of a dime that are lighter then the rest of the screen.

When there is a bit of stuff on the screen you don't really notice them but when you have a solid area, like the greay screen during boot up or the desktop itself, they are very noticeable. I haven't had teh chance yet but I am about to go to the Apple store and see what they say.

My only probelm is being without the PB while it gets fixed but what are you going to do.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2003, 08:58 PM

My iBook has had a very small white spot that I noticed a week or two after purchasing it 1 1/2 years ago. It is only noticeable on a plain white background, like the Macnn Forum. It looks like a water spot and is a couple of pixels wide.

When I sent in the iBook for a tight hinge repair I didn't bother to mention the spot. I would rather have it than a single dead pixel. And the spot hasn't gotten worse over time.

In my case, it is so insignificant that it doesn't bother me. If you need perfection when it comes to manufactured goods, particularly portable computers, then a legal pad may be a better choice...

Jeff-Flowers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2003, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by smitty825:
New Poll Option!

I propose a new poll option:

I haven't received my new AlBook yet, you insensitive clod

Karma whore!
Past Macs: PB 100, IIsi, WGS 6150, iMac (Rev C; strawberry), G4 Cube (450Mhz/Radeon), iBook (Dual USB; 500Mhz)

Current Mac: 700Mhz eMac/1GB/40GB/GeForce2/Airport

tomfoolry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2003, 11:11 PM

I originally voted with just one, but after downloading one of the pixel checking programs mentioned above.. I noticed two more. 95% of the time I don't even notice, but it has become more and more distracting/annoying.

filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2003, 01:07 AM

Here is a pic of the spots on my screen. I'm getting her replaced this week though.

Out damn spots
It's just an ordinary day and it's all your
state of mind, at the end of the day, you
just gotta say it's alright!

Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2003, 03:04 AM

Originally posted by filmmaker2002:
Here is a pic of the spots on my screen. I'm getting her replaced this week though.

Out damn spots
Wow, yours is really bad.

Geeze, I kinda feel stupid about mine now, I have three, and a bar. Grr..

Anyways, I am taking my PB in to the local campus computer store, I will show them the problem, have them order the replacement screen, and book an appointment to have them do the swap!! Yay! this means little downtime.. so I am pleased.

I suggest other people try this with their PBs if they are not trying to get a whole new replacement PB.

machem
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2003, 03:17 AM

I just noticed mine tonight (thanks to FM2002, thanks again, pal!). I have been checking my LCD every day since I received the 'book a week ago.

Is there any rhyme or reason to whether it gets "repaired" or "replaced" (guess which I want).

Of course now I don't have my old PB anymore, and it would be more than inconvenient to not have a machine (maybe I can use that to get a quicker turn-around --- I know what you're thinking "CHA", but then, I am more important than the rest of you ).

Dangit. This battery life thing looked like it was getting solved, too.

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2003, 05:34 PM

followup-

replacement BTO 15" arrived this morning. This one has no dead pixels (previous one had eight.) The keyboard flex problem of the previous book is also gone.

However this one still has one cluster of small light spots, in the lower left part of the screen. >

Forum Links
Forum Rules