Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How can I cross out words on a Mac ?

How can I cross out words on a Mac ?
PacHead
Baninated
Apr 21, 2004, 07:09 PM

On a few forums ive seen a few posts where people will write a word or phrase, with a line going through it, like as if its crossed out. I want to be able to do this also.

Is this a pc thing only ? Ive looked through the unicode set in panther, and i dont see those characters.

If it does exist - What key combination is it on mac to make these sort of characters ?

I tried to copy/paste one of those crossed out phrases from someplace else, so people could see exactly what im talking about, but when I pasted it, the line through the words was gone.

zachs
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2004, 07:13 PM

I believe it's a feature of the forum software. You would use the [strike][/strike], I believe.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2004, 07:16 PM

t̶e̶s̶t̵
( Last edited by Developer; Apr 21, 2004 at 07:34 PM. )
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Apr 21, 2004, 07:18 PM

Oh, I see. That makes sense I suppose. Thanks for the reply.

? ?????? ?? ???? ????? ?? ???? ?????.

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Apr 21, 2004, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
tŐeŐsŐtŐ

男の子
How come your Unicode worked, and mine just turned into jibberish ?

Do I need to know the value for each character, like I see in your post ?

???
( Last edited by PacHead; Apr 21, 2004 at 07:27 PM. )

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2004, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
How come your Unicode worked, and mine just turned into jibberish ?
You need a Mozilla based browser to post Japanese in this forum.

I tried to use "Combining long stroke overlay" to simulate strike through, but can't get it working. Mozilla based browsers don't support Unicode on the Mac unfortunately (just WorldScript), so I can't just drag it into the text field.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Apr 21, 2004, 07:29 PM

I tried to use "Combining long stroke overlay" to simulate strike through, but can't get it working. Mozilla based browsers don't support Unicode on the Mac unfortunately (just WorldScript), so I can't just drag it into the text field.
Ah, ok , I see. I thought there for a second that I would be able to use any unicode character or symbol. That would have been pretty cool.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2004, 07:38 PM

I think a more a updated version of vB supports "strikethrough" (or this version does and it's just deactivated) by the following vB code:

Example

Spliff
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2004, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
On a few forums ive seen a few posts where people will write a word or phrase, with a line going through it, like as if its crossed out. I want to be able to do this also.

Is this a pc thing only ? Ive looked through the unicode set in panther, and i dont see those characters.

If it does exist - What key combination is it on mac to make these sort of characters ?

I tried to copy/paste one of those crossed out phrases from someplace else, so people could see exactly what im talking about, but when I pasted it, the line through the words was gone.
You can also do this in MS Word or TextEdit.

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Apr 21, 2004, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by Spliff:
You can also do this in MS Word or TextEdit.
Yes, unfortunately it wouldnt be net compatible everywhere would it ?, which is what I was trying to do.

Like, for example, theres no way to do that on this forum, regardless of technique/software, if im not mistaken.

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2004, 10:20 PM

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2004, 10:26 PM

nm
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

ambush
Banned
Apr 21, 2004, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by RedStar:

Cheap hack

He used an image, for those wondering

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2004, 10:32 PM

I'd like to strike-through and highlight things in PDFs, then save them again. Someone should make this program and I would pay $20.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 21, 2004, 11:43 PM

I see it just fine... you wrote test with strikethrough, that's what it looks like in my FireFox (when I set the encoding to UTF-8)...

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 22, 2004, 03:17 AM

これはテストです�_。

"ne" isn't showing up for me. Can you guys see the rest of that? it's all displaying except the hiragana "ne".

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 22, 2004, 03:34 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
これはテストです�_。

"ne" isn't showing up for me. Can you guys see the rest of that? it's all displaying except the hiragana "ne".
I can't read Hiragana, so I don't know if it's the ne...

But I see eight correctly displayed Hiragana characters, then a black rhombe with a white question mark in it, then an underscore and finally a Japanese final point (small circle).

Edit: BTW, that's the same little rhombe that I see in my own name instead of the letter �_ (edit edit: <-- that should be an &iacute; )... shouldn't it be possible to have UTF-8 as the standard encoding of the entire board? I post at another board where I can post/read Japanese and see my name properly at the same time...

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 22, 2004, 03:43 AM

Originally posted by Ois�n:
I can't read Hiragana, so I don't know if it's the ne...

But I see eight correctly displayed Hiragana characters, then a black rhombe with a white question mark in it, then an underscore and finally a Japanese final point (small circle).
Hmm. you just described 11 characters, where I only typed 10. I see the underscore too, but not the question mark "rhombe."

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 22, 2004, 03:54 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
Hmm. you just described 11 characters, where I only typed 10. I see the underscore too, but not the question mark "rhombe."
I suppose the rhombe has to do with either the font or the browser... I always see a rhombe when it wants to show me a non-existent character...

And I noticed when I wrote the &iacute; that became a rhombe too that the rhombe and the underscore go together, so it's only 10 after all...

Forum Links
Forum Rules