Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Fink and KDE

Fink and KDE
Will McGoonigle
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2004, 10:40 PM

So I installed Fink and then the KDE bundle.

Now I launch X11 and type startkde and the iinterface launches but there's a problem. When KDE launches it comes up with its own desktop superimposed over OSX's. Whatever desktop icons I have on OSX are replicated on KDE's. Also, I can't click on any of the windows, menus and taskbar. It's not recognizing any clicks apart from right click on desktop (which is KDE's desktop, not OSXs and so I get the KDE menu item). Addition: Once KDE launches I can't click on any X11 windows either.

I can't figure out what to do. If I try to launch KDE's control center or anything I can't change any options because left click simply won't work. How do I get this to work so that I can launch KDE, get the KDE taskbar, can click on windows and also disable KDE's desktop so that I can use OSX's?

Amend: When minimize KDE Desktop from X11's menu I can use KDE normally and clicks now work. How do I disable KDE desktop so it doesn't launch?

Amend again: Sorry. I figured it out. I disabled icons on desktop and relaunched KDE. Now I get proper integration with OSX.
( Last edited by Will McGoonigle; May 30, 2004 at 10:51 PM. )

Will McGoonigle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2004, 11:06 PM

OK. So this is all working fine. Now what interesting stuff can I do? The included apps are crap. Anything good to download that OSX can't do or doesn't have?

pb2ya
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2004, 10:11 PM

Left click is cmd+click under X11, I'm pretty sure, thats how it was when I used blackbox

Forum Links
Forum Rules