Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > safari & passwords

safari & passwords
fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2003, 10:31 AM

okay, day 2 w/safari.

mozilla automatically stores my login/password info for the sites i visit (always asking me if i want that, the first time i login somewhere)

can safari do this (okay, seems not)

so...
is there an app i can run alongside the browser to automatically enter login/password info when i go to a site?

long-winded, sorry, half-awake sunday am!

thanx
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2003, 11:08 AM

Wait for newer release of Safari. Current private betas have this, and it's improving every version.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

fisherKing  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2003, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by Gul Banana:
Wait for newer release of Safari. Current private betas have this, and it's improving every version.

v64 doesn't have this (isn't this the most current beta??)

any recommended shareware apps to do this??
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2003, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
v64 doesn't have this (isn't this the most current beta??)

any recommended shareware apps to do this??
No v64 doesn't have it. Others more advanced beta versions (non leaked) are around and hopeffuly should have it too. I'm also waiting for that to swich definitely to safari..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2003, 04:04 PM

Safari (as of v56 or v60 or whatever the latest official release is) does store and retrieve names and passwords toand from the KEychain app, but only for external prompts, i.e., when a sheet drops down and asks you for those things to porceed. Sites that embed the password stuff into the html are not saved to or retrieved with the Keychain yet. Can't say why for sure.

One thought I had was that these sites often embed the usename field into a cookie, but delibrately do not save a password for secuurity reasons. Perhaps Safari is not saving these passwords to follow the wishes and/or "spirit" of these web pages with embedded security measures, so that the password must be typed in each time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules