Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Turning Disc Usage On and Off

Turning Disc Usage On and Off
grovberg
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2005, 06:06 PM

So I pretty rarely use my ipod as regular storage, but it does happen on occasion. I've considered just turning on the disc usage when I need it, and then turn it back off when I'm finished so I don't have to wait for the drive to unmount every time I want to take my iPod.

Is there any problem with that I'm not seeing? Can my files just sit on the ipod unused with disc usage turnd off? On a perhaps related note, I went to try this out and the "Enable Disc Use" box is greyed out, so I can't deselect it. Any thoughts on why that may be? Can it sense the files I've put on there and won't deselect so as to prevent accidental deletion?

Thanks for any input!
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi

ibook_steve
Feb 23, 2005, 01:33 PM

Yes. If you turn able to turn off disk usage, you wouldn't have access to the files on the iPod hard drive so iTunes prevents you from doing this. Why would you want to do this anyway? The hard drive needs to unmount whether or not you have disk usage enabled. What's the point?

Steve

grovberg  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2005, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by ibook_steve:
Yes. If you turn able to turn off disk usage, you wouldn't have access to the files on the iPod hard drive so iTunes prevents you from doing this. Why would you want to do this anyway? The hard drive needs to unmount whether or not you have disk usage enabled. What's the point?

Steve
Does it? It's certainly technically possible for iTunes to access the drive without having to mount it in the Finder. I guess I assumed that wouldn't be the case since when you first enable disk usage it gives you a stern warning saying that when you turn that on, you must manually unmount the disk before disconnecting it. That kind of implies that this is different than when you do not enable disk usage.

And I certainly agree that if you have to unmount the drive manually either way, then there would be no point. The question was posed asssuming there is a difference.

Regardless, I'd love to test this out, but despite having removed any extra files from the iPod, I still can not disable disk usage. Anyone have any ideas what else I might need to do?
"Make good fight."
-Mr. Miyagi

Forum Links
Forum Rules