Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How do you add links in Mail?

How do you add links in Mail?
johndcurtis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2006, 07:22 PM

I know that you can choose "Edit: Add Hyperlink" to add a link to an email, but I am hoping that there is a faster way to do this. I've been hunting for a keyboard shortcut to help, but could not find one.

Now that I think about it, I just used the System Preferences: Keyboard: Keyboard Shortcuts to define a new shortcut for that item, so I may have just answered my own question. This is good, but it still pops up the dialog to add the link. I guess I am looking for "Paste Link" using the clipboard. I think I'll dig into automator and see if that can help.
Apple Fan and Mountain Bike Racer's Blog: http://www.johndcurtis.com

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2006, 10:05 PM

Hightlight the link in your browser and press command-c then put it in the email using command-v.

johndcurtis  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2006, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5
Hightlight the link in your browser and press command-c then put it in the email using command-v.
The problem with that is that Mail just inserts the text of the link, instead of turning it into a hyperlink. You need to use the Add Hyperlink menu item to get it to insert correctly. Some mail readers are smart enough to handle parsing the text of the link when they get your mail, but not all of em.
Apple Fan and Mountain Bike Racer's Blog: http://www.johndcurtis.com

nerd
Senior User
Jul 2, 2006, 12:21 AM

In Safari you can press Command-Shift-I and it will open a new mail message with the link there. You can also use Command-I to email the html of the page.

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Jul 2, 2006, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by johndcurtis
The problem with that is that Mail just inserts the text of the link, instead of turning it into a hyperlink. You need to use the Add Hyperlink menu item to get it to insert correctly. Some mail readers are smart enough to handle parsing the text of the link when they get your mail, but not all of em.
Do you really know a mail client that's not smart enough to do that? I know that Apple Mail, Entourage, Thunderbird, Mozilla Suite (Seamonkey), Outlook Express (Mac OS 9 and Windows), Outlook, Eudora and Opera Mail all show hyperlinks. Googlemail and other well-known webmail providers also show links. I would assume that if there are really mail clients out there that aren't able to parse the text for hyperlinks, they wouldn't be able to display HTML mails either, and thus it wouldn't help to include a real HTML link tag - of course I could be wrong.

jasong
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2006, 01:14 PM

My wife complains all the time that links I send to her Yahoo! address from Mail never appear as links. Also, most mail clients can only do this automagically if the url either starts with http:// or with www. meaning if I paste web.mac.com/jasong/iWeb/Site/Home.html into Mail, the recipient is almost never going to get a clickable link, in any mail program. It doesn't work on the MacNN forum either, if I paste http://web.mac.com/jasong/iWeb/Site/Home.html it gets changed to a hyperlink.
-- Jason

Forum Links
Forum Rules