Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Internet in Parallels

Internet in Parallels
Palms128
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2009, 08:06 PM

Hi, I'm in need of a little guidance regarding accessing the internet on my recently set up Windows XP SP3 through parallels. I'm connecting through a university network which grants access to the internet only to certain MAC addresses which OS X is configured for, therefore allowing me to access the internet out of parallels. When i couldn't access the internet in WinXP in parallels i played around with the configuration settings and saw that i was able to allocate my own MAC address to the VM. However, i'm guessing due to complications with 2 machines using the same MAC address, i am now only able to access the internet through 1 or the other. This is far from ideal and i was wondering if there was a possibility of accessing the internet on OS X and the VM simultaneously?

Thanks for your help

Jx

ibook_steve
Feb 3, 2009, 10:26 PM

Welcome to our forums!

You're probably trying to use Bridged networking mode in Parallels, which requires a separate MAC address for Mac OS X and the virtual machine so that both sides get separate connections to the 'net. Instead, set Parallels to use Shared networking mode. That way, it doesn't matter what the MAC address is for the VM, because it will simply share the Mac OS X Internet connection. Configure this in the VM configuration settings or from the Devices menu.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules