Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New hard drive for iMac DVSE '99

New hard drive for iMac DVSE '99
Rampage
Mar 17, 2001, 04:33 PM

I'm going to buy a 45.0 GIG IBM Deskstar haddrive for my iMac (7200RPM). I have experience installing ATA hard drives in PC towers, so it shouldn't be too hard. My only problem is I don't know how to open the case! Is there a guide on how to install a HD in an iMac DVSE? Thanks guys.

wclarkson
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 17, 2001, 05:44 PM

You should buy a firewire hard drive. It's a lot easier although it may cost more. Also If you ever get a new computer it will work on that computer as well. It's also portable so you can take it to work or something.
I have a western digital one and it is perfect. Good Luck !!!

------------------
Will Clarkson
G4 Cube Owner :-)

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2001, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by Rampage:
My only problem is I don't know how to open the case! Is there a guide on how to install a HD in an iMac DVSE? Thanks guys.
go to http://www.imac2day.com/installhd.shtml and follow their directions. the tutorial is for the older generation machines, but opening up the case should be essentially the same.

-r.

Rampage
Mar 17, 2001, 08:40 PM

Thanks rjenkinson!! Actually, that if for second gen iMacs so it is exact.

Can i hook up two hard drives just so that i can copy over files and then put the CD back in?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2001, 09:35 PM

I don't think you can put 2 hard drives in. I only saw one power cable for the hard drive in my iMac DVSE 400.

p.s. - Going with the IBM DeskStar is a good choice. These are very fast and wonderful hard drives.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Rampage
Mar 17, 2001, 10:53 PM

but what if i unplug the CD/DVD? they are both IDE.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2001, 12:16 AM

but what if i unplug the CD/DVD? they are both IDE.
yeah, you can unplug the drive and use its IDE cable, but the problem is that you fit two hard drives into one machine. you'd have to run the cable outside of the case and have the hard drive sitting on your desk.

-r.

Rampage
Mar 18, 2001, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:
yeah, you can unplug the drive and use its IDE cable, but the problem is that you fit two hard drives into one machine. you'd have to run the cable outside of the case and have the hard drive sitting on your desk.

-r.
I will just take out the CD drive and place the HD in it's bay. It shouldn't need to be screwed in or anything.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2001, 10:15 AM

I will just take out the CD drive and place the HD in it's bay. It shouldn't need to be screwed in or anything.
I've upgraded my DV+ (2000) iMac resently, and what I saw was that the slot in cd/dv drive is in fact a portable drive. It has its own broader cable, wich have built in power supply, if you are gona fiddle with that I assume you are a good techie. I know I wouldn't dare to play with that, but I think it will work, thought. I think the best thing you can do, is to find another way to take the backup before you step into the upgrade fase. Good luck!

------------------
---------
sniffer

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Forum Links
Forum Rules