Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > jaguar: two bad one good...

jaguar: two bad one good...
hellmachine
Forum Regular
May 11, 2002, 09:34 PM

i know i have nothing to expect from a dp, but ...
bad:
no second monitor support
(maybe my card, but i doesen�t even boot with a villagetronic mpdd installed)
mail doesn�t show any text in mails ( bummer
it�s all just white...
good: quake is drastically faster!!! and that on a g4 400 with a rage pro. they definitely tweaked open gl.
generally speed is better. esp. scrolling. resizing varies but mostly feels the same. in the next days i will plug in a geforce 2 mx to see what happens...

Guy Incognito
Banned
May 11, 2002, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by hellmachine:
<STRONG>i know i have nothing to expect from a dp, but ...
bad:
no second monitor support
it�s all just white...
good: quake is drastically faster!!! and that on a g4 400 with a rage pro. they definitely tweaked open gl.
generally speed is better. esp. scrolling. resizing varies but mostly feels the same. in the next days i will plug in a geforce 2 mx to see what happens...</STRONG>
Yes, it is a dp, and bugs are to be expected.

And yes, OpenGL has been improved...drastic speed improvements in certain apps such as sixtyforce (an N64 emulator by Gerrit). Some texture problems resolved.

Vendetta had some weird color problems in OS X 10.1.x. The color problem is gone...there are some texture problems though.

UT has seen some speed improvement.

Some crazy lunatic downtown was screaming the above info to no one in particular.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2002, 09:49 PM

<STRONG>no second monitor support
it�s all just white...</STRONG>
Really? I'm typing this post in the second monitor. I'm using TiG4 400mhz with external monitor attached. What kind of hardware do you have?

About Mail.app, I do not have these problem. They worked pretty well for me.

hellmachine  (op)
Forum Regular
May 11, 2002, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
<STRONG>

Really? I'm typing this post in the second monitor. I'm using TiG4 400mhz with external monitor attached. What kind of hardware do you have?

About Mail.app, I do not have these problem. They worked pretty well for me.</STRONG>
ah, mail works now. it seems to be a problem with the keychain access. but i can�t quit it regulary... and i can�t kill apps via command-alt-esc
i think your second monitor works because its a factory config...

hellmachine  (op)
Forum Regular
May 11, 2002, 10:09 PM

"real" docklings don�t work anymore...
like the vanity dockling (uptime) and macreporter
somebody knows a trick?

hellmachine  (op)
Forum Regular
May 11, 2002, 10:12 PM

killed the dock a few times and now macreporter works. yay!

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 11, 2002, 10:45 PM

Why are you complaining about things that are broken in a DEVELOPER'S RELEASE YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE when more than likely they'll be fixed in the final release??

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
May 11, 2002, 10:51 PM

<STRONG>"real" docklings don�t work anymore...
like the vanity dockling (uptime) and macreporter
somebody knows a trick?</STRONG>
Yeah, wait for the final release of Jaguar and for the developers to update the programs.

hellmachine  (op)
Forum Regular
May 11, 2002, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by Person Man:
<STRONG>Why are you complaining about things that are broken in a DEVELOPER'S RELEASE YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE when more than likely they'll be fixed in the final release??</STRONG>
man, please read what i wrote in the beginning...
i write this to give others an impression. like i have the feeling toast don�t work anymore. if that is really the case i will reinstall 10.1.4 again. others don�t even want to install jag after knowing this. will verify this...

Detrius
Professional Poster
May 11, 2002, 11:26 PM

<STRONG>

man, please read what i wrote in the beginning...
i write this to give others an impression. like i have the feeling toast don�t work anymore. if that is really the case i will reinstall 10.1.4 again. others don�t even want to install jag after knowing this. will verify this...</STRONG>

Why would you want 10.1.4? Go back to 10.1.3. It's much more stable.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Oneota
Professional Poster
May 12, 2002, 01:49 AM

Originally posted by Detrius:
<STRONG>

Why would you want 10.1.4? Go back to 10.1.3. It's much more stable.</STRONG>
Other than the priority scheduler bug that randomly makes apps dog-slow for a few minutes, I haven't had any problems at all with 10.1.4. What stability issues are you talking about?
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2002, 02:46 AM

Originally posted by Person Man:
<STRONG>Why are you complaining about things that are broken in a DEVELOPER'S RELEASE YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE when more than likely they'll be fixed in the final release??</STRONG>
I've seen you in a couple of threads getting all pissed off about people DISCUSSING 10.2. No one is complaining about anything in this thread. They are saying that certain things don't work, pointing out bugs. No one said 10.2 will suck, so settle down. Everyone knows this is a DP and that this will all be worked out in the final version.

-matt

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2002, 02:50 AM

Originally posted by Oneota:
<STRONG>

Other than the priority scheduler bug that randomly makes apps dog-slow for a few minutes, I haven't had any problems at all with 10.1.4. What stability issues are you talking about?</STRONG>
So that's what's been goin' on!

I've not had any problems with 10.1.4. No crashes or freezes. I've even plugged and unplugged the AV cable into the AV/audio out port of my iBook with no problems.
I have had Classic quit on me a few times though. I didn't know it had quit until I noticed my Classic apps were no longer open. (That is to say, I open a document and am treated to a bounce fest.)
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2002, 07:22 AM

Man l wanna live right near Guy. Seems to be loads of freaky excitment going on around that area. Lunatics, streeties, the huge long list of eeves dropping family members that can't keep secrets

hellmachine  (op)
Forum Regular
May 12, 2002, 07:39 AM

this thread should be dead. instead of getting an answer from one who cares or no answer from one who don�t care i get answers i don�t care from people that don�t care
stop posting your "you shouldn�t have the dp..." junk in threads with clear questions and clear answers...

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
May 12, 2002, 01:17 PM

<STRONG>this thread should be dead. instead of getting an answer from one who cares or no answer from one who don�t care i get answers i don�t care from people that don�t care
stop posting your "you shouldn�t have the dp..." junk in threads with clear questions and clear answers...</STRONG>
From the main page on OS X - General Discussion:
Threads requesting assistance pirating Jaguar or other software as well as threads requesting technical support for pirated software are inappropriate and will be locked or deleted. Repeated failure to comply with these guidelines will result in the termination of your account.

Is that better?

NeoMac
Mac Elite
May 12, 2002, 01:42 PM

<STRONG>i know i have nothing to expect from a dp (developer's preview), but ...
</STRONG>
You said it. End of thread.

Is there really anything else to say? Nope. Lock this thread. Move on people. Nothing to see here.
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

Forum Links
Forum Rules