Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > can't store iPhoto 2 library outside of Home?

can't store iPhoto 2 library outside of Home?
mattmarshall
Senior User
Feb 5, 2003, 12:09 AM

hey all...

i've got this wierd problem with iPhoto 2 that only exists on one of my two computers (my iMac).

here's the deal: i cannot store a library outside of my Home folder and have it work properly.

if i create it anywhere but somewhere in "home," i cannot edit anything, and cannot import from my camera.

this occurs even if i fix the permissions for that folder (i set them to exactly what they are when a new library is created in my Home folder...no luck.)

thing is, i got this working on my other computer. what could be wrong with my imac?

thanks

-matt

tr
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2003, 12:45 AM

hmmm....so you've actually got it to work, having your library on another disk? i could never get it to work, so instead, i use this:

http://homepage.mac.com/bwebster/iph...rymanager.html

app works fine, even with iPhoto 2.

tr

mattmarshall  (op)
Senior User
Feb 5, 2003, 12:56 AM

they didn't publicize it all, but iPhoto 2 has the ability to store libraries elsewhere. if it doesn't find one in "Pictures" it asks you to "choose a library."

this worked fine on an external firewire drive on my powerbook. however, storing outside of Home on the internal drive of my iMac does not work.

(Sees the library--the pictures in it, can't add to it, though, or edit anything.)

-matt

Forum Links
Forum Rules