Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Where's my 'Shock and Awe'????

Where's my 'Shock and Awe'????
iDriveX
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2003, 09:10 PM

I'm getting really sick and tired of waiting for the 'Shock and Awe' campaign to start. I'm starting to think it's all a bunch of psychological crap....

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2003, 09:19 PM

Three days, maybe four. Then you'll get your shock and awe.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2003, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by iDriveX:
I'm getting really sick and tired of waiting for the 'Shock and Awe' campaign to start. I'm starting to think it's all a bunch of psychological crap....
Yeah what's up with that? We were promised a spectacle! The flattening of a city (pop. 6 million) live on TV.

I WANT MY WAR-TV!

Lerkfish
Mar 20, 2003, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by Face Ache:
Yeah what's up with that? We were promised a spectacle! The flattening of a city (pop. 6 million) live on TV.

I WANT MY WAR-TV!
they've relocated the target to Sydney. Have fun!

iDriveX  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2003, 09:29 PM

Seriously, this is like waiting for the fireworks to start on the 4th of July...you just keep staring at CNN waiting to just see a barage of missles flatten all of Iraq....

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2003, 10:03 PM

The whole point is that they WON'T destroy everything. They want to scare people into surrendering, not just blow them up.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2003, 10:18 PM

The "wait" is due to Allied Forces having to prep the battlefield in order for them to move into a position close enough to the primary targets so that they can move into and secure said target areas *after* the "shock and awe" campaign.

Technically and tactically, they'll want to move forces into the target areas within the hour of the last bomb drop in that area.

What we're doing now is paving our way through the battlefield in order to move into position to do the above.

As wataru said, Allied Forces don't want to obliterate the country of Iraq -- they want to obliterate 7000 some-odd specific targets and areas.

We're simply making our way over the landscape, bombarding the "road" ahead with artillery to eliminate any strongholds the Republican Guard may have.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

tikki
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2003, 10:24 PM

I really don't think there is going to be a shock and awe part of the war now. After last nights "Targets of Opportunity" it really gave the US an advantage, and has Saddam worried.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2003, 10:31 PM

Just heard that 12 US personel and 4 UK had died in a helicopter crash. Anyone else heard this?

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

clod
Senior User
Mar 20, 2003, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by tikki:
I really don't think there is going to be a shock and awe part of the war now. After last nights "Targets of Opportunity" it really gave the US an advantage, and has Saddam worried.
I disagree. The Iraqis put their worst troops close to the border. That's why it is going very well so far with the ground troops. Baghdad and the other major cities, however, are a completly different story. There will have to be massive bombings in the cities to facilitate a ground takeover. There really is no other way to take over a well protected city IMO.

kvm_mkdb
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2003, 11:11 PM

Re: Where's my 'Shock and Awe'????
In and around Basrah, but the TV doesn't show that.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2003, 11:26 PM

Frankly, I don't think there's going to be any "Shock and Awe", nor was there ever intended to be any.

Seriously, with all the supposed "media leaks", I'd be willing to bet that virtually all were fake. The bigger it sounds, the more likely it is to be misinformation. And what's bigger than this?

As for this idea of levelling the city, that was never part of the plan either. Remember, "shock and awe" is a psychological tactic; if you kill people then you've rather defeated the purpose. The way it works is to drop the bombs around the city, not in it. To surround the city in a ring from which there is no escape, but not to allow the people to come to physical harm. The goal is to demoralize, not to kill.

Believe it or not, the Bush Administration is not comprised of bloodthirsty freaks. They don't want this war any more than anyone else. But they've come to the realization that war is only a viable option when all else fails, and all else has failed.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2003, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by Logic:
Just heard that 12 US personel and 4 UK had died in a helicopter crash. Anyone else heard this?
Yeah you wouldn't get me up in one of those things.

US military choppers have killed more US servicemen in the last 30 years than the last EIGHT WARS!*

And they just showed a column of US tanks driving through the Iraqi countryside on the (US) ABC. They all had squeaky wheels. How are you supposed to sneak up on anybody with SQUEAKY WHEELS?

US Colonel - "We attack at night because we have the advantage of night vision while the enemy can't see us."

US tank battalion sneaking up - "SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!"

* Completely made up figure.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2003, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
they've relocated the target to Sydney. Have fun!
Now that would make huge improvements to Australia. Hmmm...

Jacket
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2003, 11:57 PM

Maybe we'll have accomplished everything we've wanted to accomplish before we have to resort to the "shock and awe"
Another PC to PB17 Switcher
Became the proud new owner of a PB17 on 03/22/03
http://www.mattmargolis.com (Part of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy)

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 20, 2003, 11:58 PM

It's the news that is trying to make you watch and watch and wait. They get higher ratings that way.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2003, 11:58 PM

I'm waiting. I love military strategy, and weapons... I watch the History channel constantly... So I am itching to see what the US arsonal can unleash. WIthout going nuclear.

Lerkfish
Mar 21, 2003, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by Logic:
actually, reverse that.

Lerkfish
Mar 21, 2003, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by Face Ache:
Yeah you wouldn't get me up in one of those things.

US military choppers have killed more US servicemen in the last 30 years than the last EIGHT WARS!*

And they just showed a column of US tanks driving through the Iraqi countryside on the (US) ABC. They all had squeaky wheels. How are you supposed to sneak up on anybody with SQUEAKY WHEELS?

US Colonel - "We attack at night because we have the advantage of night vision while the enemy can't see us."

US tank battalion sneaking up - "SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!"

* Completely made up figure.
Actually, I did graphics for an award-winning series called "falling from the sky" that investigated military aircraft accidents...quite a few in non-combat situations

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2003, 12:21 AM

As an aside, I still like how Iraq launched the SCUD missles they said didn't exist at our troops.

It's funny how all the "nay-sayers" aren't discussing this...

Maury

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2003, 12:25 AM

I don't think there is much there for which the U.S. can "shock and awe", except for civilians and the republican guard, which will be the only ones who will actually fight. By the time U.S. forces arrive at the outskirts of Baghdad, the guard will just end up retreating into the city with the civilians anyway. At which point, it won't be shock and awe, just a hell of a lot of urban fighting.

kvm_mkdb
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2003, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by RAILhead:
As an aside, I still like how Iraq launched the SCUD missles they said didn't exist at our troops.
Who told you they were SCUD missiles? Just because the media calls them 'SCUD' doesn't make them so.

And what about all those chemical weapons? I guess Saddam is using them on his own troops...

Saul Goode
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2003, 12:52 AM

According to Fox News, US has confirmed that they are "reasonably certain" that Hussein was indeed in one of the buildings hit last night by F117's. If he was there, there were certainly other important figures there too. I guess we'll see.

Saul Goode
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2003, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by kvm_mkdb:
Who told you they were SCUD missiles? Just because the media calls them 'SCUD' doesn't make them so.

And what about all those chemical weapons? I guess Saddam is using them on his own troops...
The US military at the scene claims they were.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 21, 2003, 01:15 AM

I find it hard to believe people actually think Saddam DOESN'T have any weapons he isn't supposed to.

I could say, I told you so, But I wont.

kvm_mkdb
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2003, 01:22 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
I find it hard to believe people actually think Saddam DOESN'T have any weapons he isn't supposed to.
So why isn't he using them?

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 21, 2003, 01:30 AM

So why isn't he using them?
So you have either.

1. Not been watching or listening to what has been going on.

or

2. Don't know what weapons Saddam ISN'T suppose to have.

So which one is it?

kvm_mkdb
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2003, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
So you have either.

1. Not been watching or listening to what has been going on.
Iraq has launched missiles, which have been called SCUD.

or

2. Don't know what weapons Saddam ISN'T suppose to have.
He's not supposed to have missiles with a range of over 150km, chemical, biological or nuclear weapons.

So which one is it?
Neither.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2003, 02:09 AM

I guess it is working! I too am sick of hearing about it to...

I am glad this war is "not what we expected". I want to be surprised, like the Iraqis are.

I am getting sick of the silly media trying to sound like they are all cast members in some war movie.

Let's hope they nail Saddam and all his scumbag associates and the Coalition Forces can come home safely.

While I did not vote for Bush, I think he and Rumsfeld and Powell are doing a masterful job of keeping the media scrambling and Saddam running scared.

Go USA!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2003, 02:13 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Frankly, I don't think there's going to be any "Shock and Awe", nor was there ever intended to be any.

Seriously, with all the supposed "media leaks", I'd be willing to bet that virtually all were fake. The bigger it sounds, the more likely it is to be misinformation. And what's bigger than this?

As for this idea of levelling the city, that was never part of the plan either. Remember, "shock and awe" is a psychological tactic; if you kill people then you've rather defeated the purpose. The way it works is to drop the bombs around the city, not in it. To surround the city in a ring from which there is no escape, but not to allow the people to come to physical harm. The goal is to demoralize, not to kill.

Believe it or not, the Bush Administration is not comprised of bloodthirsty freaks. They don't want this war any more than anyone else. But they've come to the realization that war is only a viable option when all else fails, and all else has failed.
VERY WELL SAID.

Why is it that so many people find it hard to believe the facts of 1441 and the multilateral nature of this Coalition?
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Kitschy
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2003, 02:34 AM

Washington Post:

"Iraq Fires Scud Missile at Kuwait -Officials"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Mar20.html

KUWAIT (Reuters) - Iraq fired at least one Scud missile at Kuwait on Thursday, U.S. and Kuwaiti officials said, prompting U.S. troops to don chemical protective suits and setting emergency air raid sirens blaring in Kuwait City.
I doubt this will be enough to convince some that Iraq was, indeed, in violation of 1441. Why some hold so dearly to every word of Saddam's dictatorship while denying a seemingly more trustworthy Bush administration is beyond me.

Hopefully, we won't have to find out Saddam has chemical or biological weapons. An unfortunate blurb on www.drudgereport.com shows otherwise. Hopefully Drudge is wrong.

Aku
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2003, 04:50 AM

Shock and Awe = To the pain; from the Princess Bride
Or at least that's what it reminds me of. Kind of like cold war M.A.D. without the M. Great tactic if it keeps working the way it seems to be.

1: To the pain means that the first thing you lose will be your feet below the ankles, then your hands at the wrists, Next your nose. 2: Then my tongue I suppose? I killed you too quickly the last time, a mistake I don't mean to duplicate tonight.
1: I wasn't finished! The next thing you lose will be your left eye followed by your right.
2: And then my ears...I understand! Let's get on with it!
1: Wrong! Your ears you keep and I'll tell you why; so that every shriek of every child at seeing your hideousness is yours to cherish. Every babe that weeps at your approach, every woman who cries out, 'dear God, what is that thing!' will echo in you perfect ears. That is what to the pain means. It means I leave you in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery forever.
2: You're bluffing.
1: It's possible pig. I might be bluffing. It's conceivable you miserable, vomitous mass. I'm only lying here because I lack the strength to stand. Then again, perhaps I have the strength after all.
1: Drop.......Your.......Sword

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 21, 2003, 11:07 AM

Iraq has launched missiles, which have been called SCUD.
They ARE SCUDS. So YES, Iraq has been using weapons it wasn't supposed to have. The people who claim Iraq didn't have such weapons are wrong.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 21, 2003, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by Kitschy:
I doubt this will be enough to convince some that Iraq was, indeed, in violation of 1441. Why some hold so dearly to every word of Saddam's dictatorship while denying a seemingly more trustworthy Bush administration is beyond me.

No one ever said the Bush haters were smart.

DBursey
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2003, 11:48 AM

Where's my 'Shock and Awe'????

Shock!

Awww ...

Forum Links
Forum Rules