Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > [ipod] How to skip to 'next album' at once

[ipod] How to skip to 'next album' at once
Ilja
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2003, 02:36 PM

I always play my playlists randomly per album, however I just can't figure out howto go to the next or previous album in one click, instead of skipping every track until the next album has come...

In itunes you can go to the next album by holding down the options key and the arrow. Is there such a functionality on the ipod as well?
I'm Appleless and unhappy: tiBook is dead and iPod stolen

Ilja  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2003, 12:09 PM

no-one?

Rubens
May 11, 2003, 02:43 PM

I don't know, but would be very interested if you find out.....

Ilja  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2003, 05:59 AM

Guess you can't... Wonder why: it's a pain in the ass to have to click ten times before going to the next album...

Ilja  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 13, 2003, 10:37 AM

didn't anybody notice this before?

b00tang
Forum Regular
May 13, 2003, 02:45 PM

Especially a pain because when you skip songs like that you force the ipod to access its harddrive more than usual and thus decrease battery life. I love having my itunes playlist on random and letting it shuffle through the 2000 or so songs I have... but when you want to skip a few songs its a giant pain on the ipod where it goes so smoothly in itunes... I wish that you could just skip ahead by song name without the ipod loading each song to play always
ipod why have you forsaken me?!?!?!

pokka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2003, 06:02 PM

In my opinion, holding down the "next" button on the remote or unit should move to the next album instead of fast-forwarding. You can already move to any point in the song by pressing the center button, so why have two fast forwards and no "skip album?"

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 13, 2003, 10:02 PM

I agree that there should be some way to do this, but you don't have to click ten times unless you are using the remote. It's easier to use the menu button to go back to the albums listing and then select the next album. The same goes for skipping ahead a few songs -- it's easier to use the menu system than to click the "forward button" since you can skip directly to a particular song.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
May 14, 2003, 03:15 AM

Originally posted by Icruise:
I agree that there should be some way to do this, but you don't have to click ten times unless you are using the remote. It's easier to use the menu button to go back to the albums listing and then select the next album. The same goes for skipping ahead a few songs -- it's easier to use the menu system than to click the "forward button" since you can skip directly to a particular song.
exactly - Menu->menu->rotate finger a couple of degrees on scroll wheel->select->select.

...takes about 0.5 seconds

Ilja  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 14, 2003, 07:38 AM

Originally posted by Icruise:
I'm not too sure about this, but if I'm correct if you do this then after doing this it won't play the playlist randomly anymore (I have tried it before), it will stop playing after playing that album, since you select an individual album, rather that the playlist at random.

But I'm not 100% sure about this.

Still I think a functionality like this should be added. iTunes has it, so why not the iPod?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 14, 2003, 09:53 AM

That's possible. I always randomize by song within playlists so I don't really know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules