Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Got Mine

Got Mine
RooneyX
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 12:50 PM

Got a nice new 17 Alu today despite what my sig says. I was playing around with one on display for four weeks and kept thinking how much snappier it was than the Ti-800 I have. So I got mine, it's faultless, very spangdangulous and snappy too.

djjava
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
Got a nice new 17 Alu today despite what my sig says. I was playing around with one on display for four weeks and kept thinking how much snappier it was than the Ti-800 I have. So I got mine, it's faultless, very spangdangulous and snappy too.
welcome to the family!
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 12:54 PM

Wow, congrats!!! Welcome to the 17" PB club! Hope it continues to treat you well, and post pics if you can!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

RooneyX  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 02:19 PM

It's bloody big though and when I lie down with it I feel like a midget (sorry midgets).

The keyboard is the best a Powerbook every had, solid like Dell keys. I need to buy a new rucksack!

solagratia1600
May 1, 2003, 11:22 PM

Hi Rooneyx,

cool! What made you change your mind? I would have thought you would wait for another few months for a better speed upgrade. Enlighten us!

solagratia1600
May 1, 2003, 11:25 PM

Another question came to mind, does anyone know when Apple announced the new Titanium revision last year after the release of the 550 and 667 mhz? When was the 800mhz and the 1ghz release anounced?

waxcrash
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 11:44 PM

TiBook Model & Release Date

PowerBook G4/400 & PowerBook G4/500 Released: January 9, 2001

PowerBook G4/550 & PowerBook G4/667 Released: October 16, 2001

PowerBook G4/667 DVI & PowerBook G4/800 DVI Released: April 29, 2002

PowerBook G4/867 & PowerBook G4/1.0 Released: November 06, 2002

solagratia1600
May 1, 2003, 11:47 PM

Thanks waxcrash!
guess we can't use this release date pattern as a gauge for this year's release then.

Originally posted by waxcrash:
TiBook Model & Release Date

PowerBook G4/400 & PowerBook G4/500 Released: January 9, 2001

PowerBook G4/550 & PowerBook G4/667 Released: October 16, 2001

PowerBook G4/667 DVI & PowerBook G4/800 DVI Released: April 29, 2002

PowerBook G4/867 & PowerBook G4/1.0 Released: November 06, 2002

Macpilot
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 12:13 AM

I am counting down the hours till the Airborne dude (according to the girl on the phone) arrives with my new 17.

Anything funky about the Airport E Base station setup with a cable modem I should know about?

Ordered the Marware sleevecase. It won't come till next week though.

What should I use to carry this thing for the next few days?

Steve Jobs and Jonathon Ive are making me broke!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by Macpilot:
I am counting down the hours till the Airborne dude (according to the girl on the phone) arrives with my new 17.

Anything funky about the Airport E Base station setup with a cable modem I should know about?

Ordered the Marware sleevecase. It won't come till next week though.

What should I use to carry this thing for the next few days?

Steve Jobs and Jonathon Ive are making me broke!
First off, CONGRATS! I bet you're about to crazy waiting!

And I have my cable modem ran through my AirPort Extreme Base Station, and it was a sinch. First off, power off both your cable modem and AirPort Station. Then, run a CAT5 Ethernet cable from the output of your cable modem into the WAN port (the one w/ little dots in a circle) of your AE Base Station. IF you're only using your PB on the Base Station, skip this next step. If you're running any wired computers at all through the Base Station as well, connect it (if it's a single one) via a CAT5 Ethernet cable to the LAN port on the Base Station, and if running multiple computers through a hub, connect a CAT5 Ethernet cable from the LAN port on the Base Station to the Uplink port in your hub. Now, back to if you're only using your 17" PB. After connecting your cable modem to the WAN port, plug your 17" PB into the LAN port w/ a CAT5 wire (if you've already connected another computer/hub to that LAN port, pop it out and let the 17" PB be connected by a wire for just a minute), and then power both up and let them run through their duties w/ all the flashing lights and such. Now, in Mac OS X, go to Mac HD -> Applications -> Utilities -> AirPort Setup Assistant which will configure your machine to run on an AirPort Base Station. Once that's done and configured, run the AirPort Setup Admin which is also in the Utilities folder and make sure you set all the settings like you want it (Broadcast Single IP, or give dynamic IP's, etc.). It's not difficult really, if you're unsure of things, just leave it as it's defaulted. Now, try connecting to the internet, it should work! If it does, unplug that CAT5 wire running from your 17" PB into the LAN port and plug any wire you had going into the LAN port back in, your Base Station will automatically start sending wireless signals to your PB and wired signals to your connected computer/hub.

I'd be *very* careful carrying your 17" PB around without a case. You could use the thin foam-ish sleeve that the 17" PB will arrive in, however I'd recommend going even further and putting the wrapped PB in a secure backback or suitcase of some kind.

Good luck, and feel free to post any other Q's!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Macpilot
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 08:48 AM

AssassyN,

You are the man! Thanks for the detailed info. I had a Power Mac with iBook and was running the sofware base station with both machines and that was pretty easy. Did not have to even launch the Airport utilities. Sounds easy though.

The only thing I really worry about is taking the PB out of my overnight bag for airport security. Sometimes they run that explosives test on laptops and I don't generally like those clowns grabbing the PB.

Thanks again for the great info man!
5 more hours and it should be here!!!!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Rioja
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2003, 08:50 AM

Still waiting mine (29 jan 03) :-(

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 08:57 AM

Macpilot, I tried PM'ing you back, but your Inbox is full. Try going and cleaning out your "Sent" messages as MacNN saves them and they really build-up. But here's what I was going to PM you back:

"Sure thing man, glad I could help!

And yes, I'm a hardcore gamer and I've played several games on mine, and I've written a quite extensive review of the entire machine here: http://darrenmurph.netfirms.com/17pbreview.htm

Nearing the botton, I cover Quake III, RtCW, and SoF II in detail, so you can read into that to see how they performed during my testing.

I hope you get your machine soon, it's the best computer I've ever owned, and my very first Mac. Feel free to ask any other questions, and do post impressions when you get it!

-AssassyN"
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Macpilot
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 09:05 AM

Yeah, my inbox is empty but I did not know that about the sent messages.

Cool. I will check out your reviews.

Well, the brain surgeon at Macconnection who took my order last night failed to enter my credit card info correctly and I won't get it till tomorrow. Not a big deal, just added anxiety!

Thanks again AssassyN
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 12:19 PM

Ah man, bummer about your order!!! At least tomorrow is better than another day next week, though!

Best of luck when you get it!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

javabeans
Forum Regular
May 2, 2003, 04:43 PM

Mine is shipping...mine is shipping..yippie...

The Fedex site said it was scanned and picked up today from Taiwan. I in Tri-state (NYC) area, I wonder how long it takes for the thing to get here....
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 04:45 PM

AWESOME javabeans!!!

That's wonderful to hear...you've been waiting long enough! Has your new iPod shipped out yet? It Apple upgraded your shipping to Overnight on your PB (which I bet they did) then you MIGHT get it tomorrow if you're lucky, or Monday otherwise! Post some thoughts when it arrives! Congrats again!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

javabeans
Forum Regular
May 2, 2003, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
AWESOME javabeans!!!

That's wonderful to hear...you've been waiting long enough! Has your new iPod shipped out yet? It Apple upgraded your shipping to Overnight on your PB (which I bet they did) then you MIGHT get it tomorrow if you're lucky, or Monday otherwise! Post some thoughts when it arrives! Congrats again!
Yeah..thanks AssassyN!

I had the iPod customized, i.e., laser engraving, so it is not shipping yet...but the apple on-line store says on or before 5/08 for the iPod!

Hopefully I can get it over the weekend if not...Monday won't be too bad! I'm a happy camper!
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

NightEyes
Forum Regular
May 2, 2003, 05:01 PM

Congrats! Great choice. May you enjoy many moons of Apple computing bliss

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by javabeans:
Yeah..thanks AssassyN!

I had the iPod customized, i.e., laser engraving, so it is not shipping yet...but the apple on-line store says on or before 5/08 for the iPod!

Hopefully I can get it over the weekend if not...Monday won't be too bad! I'm a happy camper!
Cool deal! If I were ever to get another iPod, I'd get it from Apple.com just to get the engraving...can't pass that up!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

javabeans
Forum Regular
May 2, 2003, 11:18 PM

Cool deal! If I were ever to get another iPod, I'd get it from Apple.com just to get the engraving...can't pass that up!
Indeed...I am a bit tight on budget having to pay for both the 17" and the iPod otherwise I'd get another iPod...one for me and the other for my gf. I also got the discount on the laser engraving...its only $15
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

javabeans
Forum Regular
May 2, 2003, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by NightEyes:
Congrats! Great choice. May you enjoy many moons of Apple computing bliss
Thank you...i hope my experience with the new toy will be as educational and rewarding as others who posted here
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
May 3, 2003, 05:18 AM

Originally posted by solagratia1600:
Thanks waxcrash!
guess we can't use this release date pattern as a gauge for this year's release then.
By the looks of it, I say May...but I dunno

It also seems like the release time between models have shortened too.

From 9 months to 7 months to 6 months.

But as of right now Since Nov. 7th it has been about 6 full months.

javabeans
Forum Regular
May 3, 2003, 09:53 AM

Mine is here in Indianapolis...sounds like everything goes through there. Man...i'm getting very anxious to get my hands on it now...
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 3, 2003, 02:00 PM

Mine is here in Indianapolis...sounds like everything goes through there. Man...i'm getting very anxious to get my hands on it now...
Sweetness!!! Yep, mine went through there as well...is it expected by today or will you have to wait 'til Monday?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

javabeans
Forum Regular
May 3, 2003, 08:01 PM

Sweetness!!! Yep, mine went through there as well...is it expected by today or will you have to wait 'til Monday?
I think i'd have to wait until Monday. No sign of anything yet...i don't think Fedex works on Sunday...
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 4, 2003, 01:36 AM

I think i'd have to wait until Monday. No sign of anything yet...i don't think Fedex works on Sunday...
Ah man, bummer...sometimes FedEx will deliver on a Saturday, but never on Sunday. Welp, just one more day!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

javabeans
Forum Regular
May 5, 2003, 07:48 PM

Ah man, bummer...sometimes FedEx will deliver on a Saturday, but never on Sunday. Welp, just one more day!
I got mine today...man its awesome...Now I need to transfer all my stuff from my XP and learn know to set up osx<-->xp wireless connectivity
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 5, 2003, 08:14 PM

I got mine today...man its awesome...Now I need to transfer all my stuff from my XP and learn know to set up osx<-->xp wireless connectivity
Ooooh sweetness man! So glad it's finally in your hands! Amazing, isn't it?!

Like I said, you can use the built-in Samba transfers, but I'd highly recommend LAN Yahoo Messenger transfers as they're muchhh more stable (at least in my experience).

And I have 2 WinXP machines working flawlessly (altough their both wired machines) on the same network policed by my AirPort Extreme Base Station. The PC's found the AirPort Network without a hitch. If you've got questions that my earlier posts in this thread didn't cover, feel free to post them and I'll do my best to help ya out! Best of luck w/ your beautiful new Mac!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

javabeans
Forum Regular
May 5, 2003, 08:21 PM

Ooooh sweetness man! So glad it's finally in your hands! Amazing, isn't it?!

Like I said, you can use the built-in Samba transfers, but I'd highly recommend LAN Yahoo Messenger transfers as they're muchhh more stable (at least in my experience).

And I have 2 WinXP machines working flawlessly (altough their both wired machines) on the same network policed by my AirPort Extreme Base Station. The PC's found the AirPort Network without a hitch. If you've got questions that my earlier posts in this thread didn't cover, feel free to post them and I'll do my best to help ya out! Best of luck w/ your beautiful new Mac!

yeah..its a beauty...thanks for the heads up...I'm gonna play with it a little to see if i can set it up myself...if not I'll definitely come here for help...Thanks again.
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

beanman
Forum Regular
May 5, 2003, 08:27 PM

Great to hear that we have more people joining the 17" family. Enjoy your new machines!

PowerBook 17" | 1GHz | 1Gb RAM | 60G

javabeans
Forum Regular
May 5, 2003, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by beanman:
Great to hear that we have more people joining the 17" family. Enjoy your new machines!
I wonder how many people out there own the 17" PB. [BTW, this message is written using Safari and my new 17" PB ]
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 5, 2003, 08:38 PM

I wonder how many people out there own the 17" PB. [BTW, this message is written using Safari and my new 17" PB ]
Awesome! And just so ya know, you may wanna give Camino a try (search for it at www.versiontracker.com) as I find it much faster than Safari and just an all-around better browser. Of course, it all boils down to personal preference.

And I'd be willing to bet that Apple gained more switchers with the 17" PB than with any other single machine they've ever released, well, *maybe* the original all-in-one G3 iMac could compete, but that's about it. I'd say there's TONS of 17" PB users out there compared to the total amount of Mac users...it's great to be in the family.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Macpilot
Mac Elite
May 5, 2003, 08:54 PM

First post from new Powerbook!

So far my impression is:

FRIGGIN' AMAZING!!!

Took it to work. Lots of gawkers....going to Starbucks tomorrow to humiliate some PCs!

Just got my Airport Base station set up. Pretty easy. Gonna try printing to it.

Anybody here try attaching a USB hub to the Base station and have any luck?
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 5, 2003, 08:58 PM

First post from new Powerbook!

So far my impression is:

FRIGGIN' AMAZING!!!

Took it to work. Lots of gawkers....going to Starbucks tomorrow to humiliate some PCs!

Just got my Airport Base station set up. Pretty easy. Gonna try printing to it.

Anybody here try attaching a USB hub to the Base station and have any luck?
CONGRATS MAN!!

I'm glad setting up your AirPort network was easy, I figured it would be as it surely was for me.

Good luck on the Starbucks venture, lol, you'll probably spend more time explaining your machine than using it.

And also, I've heard that the single-USB port in the rear of the AE Base Station didn't support hubs, but it would be swank if you could connect your USB-printer and USB-scanner to it, although there'd be no real benefit to wireless scanning being you hafta insert/remove items from the scanner each scan.

I'd certainly try to borrow a USB-hub first and try it before just purchasing one.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Macpilot
Mac Elite
May 5, 2003, 09:04 PM

Well, I already have a hub, so I guess I will be the guinea pig and give it a try....will let you know how it works.

That Base station looks like it came out of 2001:A Space Odyssey....very trick!

Gonna expirement with the range tomorrow to see if I can get to my pool in my complex, which is probably around 80 to 100 feet away.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 5, 2003, 09:14 PM

Well, I already have a hub, so I guess I will be the guinea pig and give it a try....will let you know how it works.

That Base station looks like it came out of 2001:A Space Odyssey....very trick!

Gonna expirement with the range tomorrow to see if I can get to my pool in my complex, which is probably around 80 to 100 feet away.
Cool deal, let us know how the USB-hub works out!

And yeah, it *does* look pretty sweet...I've had numerous "OH MAN! What *IS* that?!"

And the AE Base Station should provide signal up to ~150 feet away, though it'll revert to 802.11b (non-Extreme) after about ~50 feet away, so be sure you're Setup allows for your Base Station to work at "802.11b/g" and not just "802.11g only" in the AirPort Adimin Utility.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Forum Links
Forum Rules