Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook memory - 144 pin SODIMM Universal?

ibook memory - 144 pin SODIMM Universal?
aquaclear
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2003, 07:53 AM

I went to go to the local Microcenter and went to their Mac section to purchase a stick of RAM. When I asked for a 256MB stick he told me they were out but went up front to check to see if there were any. He returned and told me they were out of the usual model he sells but told me any 144pin SODIMM should work. I was skeptical since I heard ibooks only take a certain type of memory stick. So my question is are all 144 pin SODIMMs the same? Have I been duped into thinking there is a special SODIMM to only pay for the markup price of being an ibook? If all of the 144 pin SODIMMs are the same then I might as well go to my local Best Buy where they run specials of notebook memory sticks all the time.

Justin216
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2003, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by aquaclear:
I went to go to the local Microcenter and went to their Mac section to purchase a stick of RAM. When I asked for a 256MB stick he told me they were out but went up front to check to see if there were any. He returned and told me they were out of the usual model he sells but told me any 144pin SODIMM should work. I was skeptical since I heard ibooks only take a certain type of memory stick. So my question is are all 144 pin SODIMMs the same? Have I been duped into thinking there is a special SODIMM to only pay for the markup price of being an ibook? If all of the 144 pin SODIMMs are the same then I might as well go to my local Best Buy where they run specials of notebook memory sticks all the time.
There shouldn't be any problem at all with using normal PC notebook 144-pin ram....

BrettOZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2003, 10:59 PM

BE CAREFUL!

I bought a 512MB SODIMM 144 pin (it was cheap - yes)and NO it doesn't work in my iBook 800MHz. It actually comes up that it is 256MB and was very unstable - could not wake machine from sleep. As soon as I took the memory out - no problems with sleep/wake.

My advice: Test it before you buy.

aquaclear  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2003, 09:14 AM

So I guess my there is no difference in the 144 pin SODIMMs on the crucial website? The main difference I see when you make your notebook choices is the difference in price.

Cipher13
Jun 4, 2003, 06:36 AM

Originally posted by aquaclear:
So I guess my there is no difference in the 144 pin SODIMMs on the crucial website? The main difference I see when you make your notebook choices is the difference in price.
Crucial RAM = good RAM.

Any Crucial 144-pin SO-DIMM should work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules