Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Stuck on mirrored displays

Stuck on mirrored displays
Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 07:20 PM

You won't believe this but I can't find a setting to extend the desktop to both monitors... where is this option? (Can I get a screenshot?)

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2003, 09:09 PM

system preferences -> displays, then go to the "arrangement" tab and untick "mirror displayes." if it's not there, it is probably because your hardware does not (at least officially) support it.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
system preferences -> displays, then go to the "arrangement" tab and untick "mirror displayes." if it's not there, it is probably because your hardware does not (at least officially) support it.
Arrangement is no longer there... I've got a Ti4600 it has be officially supported.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 29, 2003, 04:09 AM

What version of Mac OS X are you running? When did you first notice this problem? Have you successfully extended your desktop before?

superlarry
Senior User
Jun 29, 2003, 10:02 AM

try checking "Show displays in menu bar" in the Displays pane of the System Preferences, then turn off mirroring in the resulting menu.

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2003, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
What version of Mac OS X are you running? When did you first notice this problem? Have you successfully extended your desktop before?
I'm running 10.2.6

I just noticed it today when me and my little bro were playing each other in GLtron and I gave him the second montior as his screen.

My desktop was always extended to the second montior.

I'm using the Apple ADC display adapter for the second monitor... It could have something to do with it.

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2003, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by superlarry:
try checking "Show displays in menu bar" in the Displays pane of the System Preferences, then turn off mirroring in the resulting menu.
Ah... there is an option on that menu... But there isn't one on the system prefs menu!!! That needs help!

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 29, 2003, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by Tyler McAdams:
Ah... there is an option on that menu... But there isn't one on the system prefs menu!!! That needs help!
So were you able to use the option to solve your problem?

Tyre MacAdmin  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2003, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
So were you able to use the option to solve your problem?
Yes, I was, but don't you think there should be an option in the system preferences application? It does not make any sense not to be there in my opinion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules