Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Kensington Numeric Keypad Fix

Kensington Numeric Keypad Fix
kwratcs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2003, 08:06 PM

The Kensington Numeric Keypad I purchased for my 12" PB through Apple.com would flicker the number of the key depressed but then disappear. It worked fine in Virtual PC mode.

After much frustration, a second keypad shipped courtesy of Kensington, many phone calls, and drives about town, my third call to Kensington paid off.

After plugging the keypad into the USB port, depress and hold the NumLock key for 5 seconds or more. It then works as advertised. Don't know why, but glad it finally works.
Keven

kennedy
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2003, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by kwratcs:
After plugging the keypad into the USB port, depress and hold the NumLock key for 5 seconds or more. It then works as advertised. Don't know why, but glad it finally works.
SWEEEET! That also fixed my Targus keypad! Must be something with the PB's.

With the Targus, it sorta works, but usually beeps after every keystroke and many programs react very badly to whatever bogus junk is coming from the keypad. Hold down NumLock (on the keypad) for 5 seconds, and then it works perfectly from then on.

Thanks for that tip!!!
Mac Nut since before color Macs, working for UT Austin Microcenter supporting Mac users

Forum Links
Forum Rules