Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X 10.3 and Perl - issues?

OS X 10.3 and Perl - issues?
beamrider9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2003, 03:07 PM

Last night I upgraded to OS X 10.3. All seemed well until I tried to run some of my Perl scripts - suddenly, Perl was unable to find DBI or any of the other modules I had installed and used regularly before upgrading to 10.3.

My DBI is in /Library/Perl/darwin. But running any DBI scripts yields this:

Can't locate DBI.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /System/Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/5.8.1 /Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.8.1 /Library/Perl /Network/Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Network/Library/Perl/5.8.1 /Network/Library/Perl .) at db.pl line 1.

I tried copying the DBI stuff up one level, to /Library/Perl, but that didn't work either.

Has anyone else run into this, and if so, what's your workaround? Other than re-installing all your Perl mods, which I really don't want to do.

Froggysan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2003, 03:26 PM

They've upgraded the version of Perl. And they've moved it around.

So applications that are based on the old version of Perl may not work.

One of my apps called Cantrip required the version used before 10.3 so I grabed it from a Jag machine and placed the file in it's previous path.

I'd recommend grabbing the old Perl file folders and place them where they used to be. It shouldn't effect the version that's there right now.

Or you could install your perl mods again...

larkost
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2003, 03:33 PM

You will have to recompile your perl modules, as Apple has upgraded to 5.8 which is binary incompatible with 5.6. That is what the CPAN command is for...

perl -MCPAN -eshell

beamrider9  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2003, 03:48 PM

OK, I gave recompiling DBI a shot - but doing a

perl Makefile.PL

Is dying with this error:

====================
Error: Unable to locate installed Perl libraries or Perl source code.

It is recommended that you install perl in a standard location before
building extensions. Some precompiled versions of perl do not contain
these header files, so you cannot build extensions. In such a case,
please build and install your perl from a fresh perl distribution. It
usually solves this kind of problem.

(You get this message, because MakeMaker could not find "/System/Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE/perl.h")
====================

Has anyone else seen this? I have perl.h on my system, but it's at /System/Library/Perl/darwin/CORE/perl.h. I'm contemplating copying all the Perl header files in darwin/CORE/ to darwin-thread-multi-2level/CORE, but I get nervous at the thought of moving around critical Perl files.

Maybe I'm a stick in the mud, but I think I would have preferred to stick with 5.6 and have Apple leave Perl alone...

Forum Links
Forum Rules