Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > SCSI termination help

SCSI termination help
Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2004, 09:52 PM

I got a sGB SCSI drive from work that I am trying to make work in a 7300 powermac on the internal SCSI bus.

I need help understanding what the pinout codes mean.

The drive is an IBM 74G6996. I managed to find a pinout for the settings and just need help figuring out what these abbreviations mean.

I go the SCSI ID stuff down. No prob.

Does anyone know what the following means or does?

FLT OUT
BSY OUT
Spin Up
SP Sync.

Spin up seems to be obvious, but when jumpered it does nothing different than when not jumpered. There does not appear to be any pins with any designation about terminating. There are two other pins all alone that have no designation whatsoever and do not show up in any documentation. (The only documentation I could get was from the net and it was sparse.)

When I first put the drive in, it wouldn't spin up unless the SCSI bus was searched for devices. This meant that the drive was useless as a boot drive since it could not be detected at boot (it didn't spin up or wake up). When I put a jumper across the FLT OUT pins, it worked as a boot drive.

Does anybody know what these mean or do? Links to SCSI info pages would be nice. I have read a bunch, but nothing seems to address what I need.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Zoom
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 09:39 AM

Okay, I have no idea what the pinouts are, but tell us again why you need to know? Don't you just need to buy a SCSI terminator plug? Are you trying to build your own??

Anyway, a quick Google search gave me some links you might try.

http://www.scsita.org/aboutscsi/SCSI..._Tutorial.html

http://www.scsi-planet.com/scsi-termination/

http://www.cablemakers.com/scsitermination.htm

Eriamjh  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2004, 06:52 PM

I guess if there isn't someone who KNOWS if there is an abbreviation or another name for "terminate" then I will build my own terminator to use this drive.

I checked with the guys at work and the old server that was in the trash and there was a terminator on the end of the cable. I grabbed it. It might be all I need to use this drive.

I'll check your links and see what I can find.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules