Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 160GB vs. 160GB

160GB vs. 160GB
grovberg
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2004, 10:39 AM

About two months ago I bought two HDs labeled as 160GB...I put one in my Mac and one in my PC and formated both. Both ended up with 127 usable gigabytes. Disappointing sure (especially since the 120's they replaces gave me 114GB), but I'm well aware of the whole "GB is not actually 1,000,000,000 bytes" thing, figured it was part of that, and moved on with my life.

Fast forward to last week and we get in a couple new G5s at work. As I'm partitioning the 160GB drive, I notice that these drives have 152GB usable. That's almost 30GB difference!

So do you guys think there is anything I've done wrong in the format to cause this? I find that kind of hard to believe since I got the exact same result on a Mac and a PC. Do you think I just got screwed with the drives I bought? What should I look for to avoid this in the future?

Thanks guys.
-Grover

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 10:44 AM

your drives are fine. it's a limitation of the IDE controller in your machines. the G5s have newer controllers with a higher limit, allowing you to use more space.

-r.

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2004, 10:48 AM

Hi!

Older IDE-Controllers can handle only up to 128GB. Usually ATA/100 and faster controllers can handle more, the only G4-Macs to do so are those from the MDD series. If wou want to use the full capacity in the other machines you have to get a PCI IDE-Controller or put the drive into an external case.

Fanatic
Jan 28, 2004, 03:16 PM

I'm not certain what the ATA/100 limitations are, but the PM G5 uses serial ATA (as opposed to IDE) and each controller can see up to 250gb. Most motherboards comes with two ATA controllers (including the ones in the PM G5) giving you a total internal capacity of 500gb.

Hope this helps...
iMac 15" FP G4 800Mhz 512mb Ram Superdrive

grovberg  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2004, 11:00 AM

Wow, thanks for the swift reply! I was hoping it was something like that. So, am I understanding correctly that if I just plug the drive into a faster controller, I should see the additional space? Or will I have to reformat?

As a side note, apparently the email notification function no longer works. Weird.
-grover

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2004, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by grovberg:
Wow, thanks for the swift reply! I was hoping it was something like that. So, am I understanding correctly that if I just plug the drive into a faster controller, I should see the additional space? Or will I have to reformat?

As a side note, apparently the email notification function no longer works. Weird.
-grover
Yes you WILL have to reformat to get back the rest of the space on those drives, on the mac anyway.

There is a utility called "PartitionMagic" for the PC that will allow you to resize partitions without reformatting, but I'm not sure it will get you back all the space in this case....since the entire drive needs to be resized.....give it a shot & let us know if it works
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules