Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > OS X on ibook with forgotten password

OS X on ibook with forgotten password
ratboynigga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2004, 08:09 AM

I recently bought a ibook off ebay from another seller. Once i got my ibook, everything was running smoothly, until i lost the stoopid password for the login prompt. I contacted the buyer and he doesnt reply back as to what it is, or what the root password is in order for me to reset the user password.

I didnt get the OS X cd off him as i didnt know it was needed wen this sort of stuff happens. I was going to buy my own copy since his was a copy. So now i cant use my ibook all together!!!!

Is there any way i can login as root or reset the passwords? or is there anyway i can format it and install a fresh copy of OS X?

I need some serious guruz to help me out on this major headache issue.

biosphere
May 3, 2004, 08:20 AM

The password is "I-Will-Give-It-Back-To-The-Guy-I-Nicked-It-From"

Should work

ratboynigga  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2004, 08:27 AM

funny.... NOT!

Just cause i tried to save a few bux and buy it second had, u rich ppl fink its stolen. Get over urself n grow up.

If you got no positive comments to help, dont bother posting.

macintologist
Professional Poster
May 3, 2004, 08:40 AM

Biosphere that wasn't helpful and in a perfect world, it wouldn't be included in your post count.

Ratboynigga, to make a fresh install of OS X you must insert the original cds or Panther cds and hold down the C key while you restart. Then follow the on screen instructions.

I don't know how to reset a computer password can't help you there.

Cipher13
May 3, 2004, 09:22 AM

Don't cross-post... and this isn't an iBook issue anyway. Check your other post.

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2004, 09:22 AM

We do want to be careful not to help folks who cold be thieves, you know, that thing b does happen. Adobe actually keeps track of who has their product registered, and if you want to be official, you actually have to get the product transferred.

Verification.

Passwords.

DRM.

We don't live in an honest world where we can trust one another. :-(
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

iXavier
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2004, 08:17 PM

ccscss has a point.

However, I've known people who have gotten products off of e-Bay and they were passworded. I've always tried to set my passwords as "admin" on products that I've sold on eBay, and related that fact in the password hint.

Get the Panther CDs, the licensed ones, from the seller and reinstall.

x.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 5, 2004, 01:33 AM

Please, just one thread per topic. Don't post the same thing in multiple forums.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules