Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How can I make the log in windows dissapear?

How can I make the log in windows dissapear?
eyes on me
Mar 29, 2004, 04:58 PM

I want it gone so I wont need to type my password or see the log in windows everytime my ibook start up, since im the only one using my comp.

Arclite
Mar 29, 2004, 05:51 PM

System Preferences > Accounts > Login options > Automatically log in as...

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2004, 07:18 PM

If you frequently use your iBook away from home, I would recommend against the auto login. If your laptop got stolen, that person would have instant access to all your files. Of course, there are tricks to get around entering a password, but a vast majority of people don't know them.
While on the subject, I also have my phone number entered as my "Computer Name" in the Sharing Preference Pane. This way, if a stranger turns on my iBook, they won't be able to access my stuff, and my phone number automatically displays on the Login Window for ID purposes.
Of course, you may not be as paranoid as me

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2004, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
If you frequently use your iBook away from home, I would recommend against the auto login. If your laptop got stolen, that person would have instant access to all your files. Of course, there are tricks to get around entering a password, but a vast majority of people don't know them.
While on the subject, I also have my phone number entered as my "Computer Name" in the Sharing Preference Pane. This way, if a stranger turns on my iBook, they won't be able to access my stuff, and my phone number automatically displays on the Login Window for ID purposes.
Of course, you may not be as paranoid as me
i have the hint on all of the accounts on my laptop as "return to xxxx, $100 reward. [phone #]"

i figure if im dumb enough to lose the thing, i can afford $100 to get it back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules