Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Two Apple laptop questions

Two Apple laptop questions
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2004, 10:37 AM

Do either of the Apple notebook lines (iBook, PowerBook) offer a docking station? I generally use these extensively with my PC desktop replacement laptops (Dell, IBM, Toshiba).

Also: Does the iBook offer any way to drive a DVI based monitor? (I know that the powerbook does this)

Thanks in advance.

mishap
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2004, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by driven:

Also: Does the iBook offer any way to drive a DVI based monitor? (I know that the powerbook does this)
The iBook will not display to DVI based monitors. I believe all the powerbooks will allow you to do this.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2004, 12:52 PM

Regarding the docking station, what would you need it for in particular? Usually they're not as essential with the Mac, in my experience. Your ports are side-mounted, and the majority of what you'd want is included. You don't necessarily need to extend the number of USB ports; buying an external keyboard from Apple (or Mac-friendly companies like MacAlly) typically nets you an extra USB port on the keyboard itself to hook up a USB mouse, which you can leave connected to the keyboard.

If you have a wireless connection available, getting an Airport Extreme card would free things up just that much more. With my own PowerBook I usually only have to plug in the power cable and USB keyboard (headphones are only used occasionally) when I bring the PowerBook back home.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Tomster
Senior User
Apr 23, 2004, 01:00 AM

There is a company that makes a product called Bookendz for the iBook. Looks like a waste to be because the ports are all on the side to begin with.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

egleband83
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2004, 02:46 PM

What I have found to be the best docking solution is to have all of my USB devices connected on one USB hub so that all I need to do is plug in the one usb cable from the hub, my 1/8th headphone jack that goes to my big speakers, and the power cable. This works very well for me, although if you were wanting to use an external monitor it would be one more thing to connect.

But like others have said, with the ports being on the side of the machine it makes it much easier and less troublesome to connect your components. Another reason I love my iBook :-)
A switcher as of 8/20/03 and loving every moment of it!
15.4" 2.2ghz MBP

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2004, 02:59 PM

One of the big advantages I get with the docking station for my Dell is the ability to:
- Connect everything simply by shoving it into the dock.
- Never having to open the lid. (Dock has it's own power switch)
- Ability to secure the laptop. (The dock "locks" the entire laptop into the bottom.) One small luggage lock on the eject lever and I could leave the laptop all weekend and have less of a chance of someone stealing it than stealing a desktop.

My IBM docking station offers one additional advantage:
- DVI port on dock that's otherwise not available on the laptop itself.

I know that the iBook doesn't have DVI in any way shape or form.

I was just hoping to get away from the "put it down, plug everything in, open the lid for power, close the lid" type thing. (Call me lazy). <GRIN>

That said: I'd save a few bucks on not needing a dock. :-)

dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2004, 03:28 PM

I was just hoping to get away from the "put it down, plug everything in, open the lid for power, close the lid" type thing. (Call me lazy). <GRIN>
Unfortunately, the iBooks and the PowerBooks need to have the lid open to run. It's a trade-off:
1) When you open the lid the computer is ready to go instantly.
2) Much of the heat is dissipated through the keyboard. This eliminates the need for the fan to run most of the time.

So even if you get a dock, you will still have to open the lid of your 'Book.
Don

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2004, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by dbergstrom:
Unfortunately, the iBooks and the PowerBooks need to have the lid open to run. It's a trade-off:
2) Much of the heat is dissipated through the keyboard. This eliminates the need for the fan to run most of the time.

Yuk.

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2004, 09:49 PM

Yuk.
Now, if you had an external monitor and keyboard with a Powerbook, you could (in theory, as I haven't actually done anything like this) just plug it into a dock (Bookendz) and then press a key on the keyboard and you're set.

I believe FireWire devices receive power in sleep mode or not if the laptop is plugged in (or only when it's awake does it get power if it's not). Can't recall the specifics about USB.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2004, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by dbergstrom:

This is not true for the AluBooks. An AluBook will run fine with its lid closed just as long as an external monitor is plugged in.

A Bluetooth mouse and keyboard come in handy as well.

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2004, 10:13 PM

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1310

Forum Links
Forum Rules