Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help please! can't lift keyboard up

Help please! can't lift keyboard up
ClaraT
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2004, 07:13 PM

Hi,

I'm going nuts. I need to lift up and open my keyboard and yeah I know about the little screw next to the "num lock" key. I've turned it "one half turn" as the manual states but I can't lift the keyboard up. It won't release. I can turn it to the left and to the right, but it doesn't give. What am I doing wrong?

I've done this before without a problem, when I installed my Crucial memory and later putting in my Airport Extreme Card. I did not need to turn the screw either time.

I do remember taking it to the Apple store and one of the guys there opened it. I think he turned the lock key because I don't remember doing it. In fact, I made a point of never touching it, so that it wouldn't be forced open by accidentally forgetting that it was locked.

I need to take out the Crucial memory and put back the original memory that came with this machine because based on some of the posts that's my first step in determining what's causing the kernel panics I'm having now at least twice a day.

Thanks.

ClaraT

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2004, 07:28 PM

Make sure that the slot for the screw is oriented parallel or perpendicular (I don't remember which) to the edge of the keyboard, like so:

_ OR |

NOT,

\ OR /

Hope that helps.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 08:36 PM

Also, as you turn that screw, you can see the little tab sliding in and out. So watch closely to ensure you've disengaged the locking tab.

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2004, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
Also, as you turn that screw, you can see the little tab sliding in and out. So watch closely to ensure you've disengaged the locking tab.
Thanks.

I'll try it when I log off and shut down--then will let you know.

ClaraT

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2004, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by ClaraT:
Thanks.

I'll try it when I log off and shut down--then will let you know.

ClaraT

Nope, no luck. This is so frustrating as I have opened up this keyboard a few times in the first couple of months to install ram and then AE. It almost feels like it's melted down solid where the little screw is. Again,the screw DOES turn, but I don't see the latch as was described.

I was hoping to avoid the time suck of going to the Apple store and to just remove the Crucial memory myself and see if that is the problem with the daily crashing--several times a day and the daily kernel panic.

aaaaarrrggghh!!

clarat

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2004, 09:41 AM

There are like THREE Apple Stores within or just off of the Beltway. Is it really that hard to get to one of them.

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2004, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by f1000:
There are like THREE Apple Stores within or just off of the Beltway. Is it really that hard to get to one of them.

No, it's not particularly hard if I time traffic just right. It's the standing around the "genius bar", waiting while an understaffed store gets to each person and all the paperwork that's involved with others and myself.

When I am leaving for a 10 day business trip at o'dark thirty on Fri. am from BWI I just don't have the time (probably 2-3 hours) to commute, stand around and deal with a little idiot screw that's the hang up.

And I'm dreading that they'll tell me that they a) need to keep it - or b) tell me that it can't be opened and I'll be blamed for it.

I've been extremely gentle with this machine--it's been babied. . .Waterfield sleeve, clean hands, special wipes for screen and keyboard. . . never touched the friggin screw until last night!!

If I sound aggravated I am--the love affair with this ibook is waning.

But thanks for listening. . . .

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2004, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by ClaraT:
...I just don't have the time (probably 2-3 hours) to commute, stand around and deal with a little idiot screw that's the hang up.
Yeah, dealing with an Apple Store Genius can be trying.

Forum Links
Forum Rules