Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > TFT + OHP = Projector (Do It Yourself and save �1000)

TFT + OHP = Projector (Do It Yourself and save �1000)
TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2004, 10:06 AM

http://www.0-degrees.de/kram/tft_ohp/

How to make a projector out of a TFT and an overhead projector. The solution is almost �1000 cheaper than a beamer. It doesn't look pretty though.

( Last edited by TETENAL; Nov 30, 2004 at 10:21 AM. )

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 30, 2004, 10:19 AM

1. "Beamer" is a German pseudoanglicism -- it's a German word constructed from an English root, it's not actual English. In English, it's called a projector.*

2. That guy merely re-invented the wheel. They used to make LCD panels that you laid over an overhead projector. They stopped making them because they're a pain in the butt and everyone preferred buying real projectors that could be mounted on the ceiling. On top of it, real LCD/DMD projectors have better images than overhead projectors.

tooki

*German is famous in linguistic circles for the pseudoanglicisms. Typically, they are so far removed from their English roots in meaning that an English speaker will not understand them. Such is the case with beamer, as well as "handy" [mobile phone], "teenies" [young teens] and "twens" [twentysomethings], "talkmaster" [talk-show host], etc. None of those will be understood by an English speaker without explanation.

TETENAL  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2004, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
1. "Beamer" is a German pseudoanglicism -- it's a German word constructed from an English root, it's not actual English. In English, it's called a projector.
Oops. Thanks for telling me. Embarrassing for me since I hate those (especially "handy" � I hate that word with a passion).
[E]veryone preferred buying real projectors that could be mounted on the ceiling.
Not everyone has > �1000 disposable to screw to the ceiling. If you have room for an ugly overhead projector in your living room, this might be the alternative.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 10:30 AM

and i thought a beamer meant BMW

davidflas
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by Nivag:
and i thought a beamer meant BMW

A common misconception... BMW = Bimmer!
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 30, 2004, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by TETENAL:
Oops. Thanks for telling me. Embarrassing for me since I hate those (especially "handy" � I hate that word with a passion).

Not everyone has > �1000 disposable to screw to the ceiling. If you have room for an ugly overhead projector in your living room, this might be the alternative.
Hehe. I have an old German pop song (sung in English) on MiniDisc whose lyrics are "Scandy Randy, I'm gonna call you on my handy, Randy." Germlish masquerading as English! It's so campy I had to keep a copy.

Back when the OHP panels were available, they cost thousands of dollars, and video projectors cost even more. Either way, they were so expensive that only businesses could afford them, and they often just opted for the video projector.

Around 1994-95 (I'm trying to remember), IBM made a laptop whose screen could fold completely flat and had a removable backlight. Yep, it was made so you could put it right on the OHP.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules