Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > need help changing interface colors

need help changing interface colors
rebtaz7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2005, 09:53 PM

Hello: I just purchased a G5 and being a person with low vision, I figure there is a way to change background colors like you can with Windows. I have been having trouble with this ability and came across some themes but not many out there. I neeed to work with anything that does not use white backgrounds. I heard that Tiger will have more options for us on this topic, but I would like to find something now to help me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Allan Williams

Visnaut
Senior User
Jan 29, 2005, 10:07 PM

You can try:

System Preferences > Universal Access > Switch to White on Black

rebtaz7  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2005, 11:09 PM

Thank you for your help, I did try that but it's not what I am looking for due to the fact that it makes the pictures in a negative form. Windows does not have that issue. Any other ideas?

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2005, 11:29 PM

Probably the best thing to do would be to buy ShapeShifter from Unsanity and create yourself a theme exactly to your requirements with Theme Park.

What colours are you looking for?
David.

rebtaz7  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2005, 01:31 AM

Hi David: I did get shapeshifter and downloaded some themes. I like a couple that I found but my problem is I don't work well with any of the fields being white backgrounds. I work well with a black bacground with yellow letters and green links and a dark grey interface for the app. I will look into the themepark program but I am a new mac user and don't know programming. I hope my hands are not tied since this whose setup cost us a few bucks.

Thanks for your ideas.

Allan Williams

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2005, 01:43 PM

perhaps it might be an idea to email some of the themeing experts found on the GUI customisation forum. I am unfortunately no expert on these matters. The changes you require sound pretty extreme but I don't think it is impossible.

The mac os interface is largely based on bitmap images compared to windows which is traditionally based on a more vectored approach allowing you to resize elements and change colours easily (still looks like pap though).

Maybe find a theme that has a dark grey background and ask the author if it can be customised...

Hope you can find a way round this.
David.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2005, 01:54 PM

There are several workable dark themes out there, Exec being one of them. Even more choices if you can use a grey background. Check out the desktop thread in GUI, plenty of ideas out there.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

rebtaz7  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2005, 02:10 PM

Thanx again for your help. I will do what you sugested and do more research.

Forum Links
Forum Rules