Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is it safe & secure to log into .mac mail account from public computers?

Is it safe & secure to log into .mac mail account from public computers?
Walker
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2005, 05:23 PM

I've always been cautious when it comes into logging into my .mac account when I'm on public computers (i.e. library computers, internet cafe's, etc.). I usually have an alternative email address that I'll use for these occasions. I would, however, prefer to continue using my .mac email address as it confuses some of my recipients when they receive emails from me with a different "return to" address.

I guess the part that concerns me is that if the public computer isn't secure someone could get my password. I use this same password for a range of logins, not just the .mac login.

I'll be doing a lot of travelling this year and it would be nice to just use my .mac email. Are my concerns about security on public computers justified or should I just use my .mac email and not worry about it?

Thanks,

lw

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2005, 05:35 PM

The potential for spyware and other malicious code to be installed on public computers is a real one, but I would say that the probability is low. If you are using a public computer that is administered by competent people, you probably are safe. Unfortunately, many librarians are not technologically competent. My local library originally had the policy that they would not install a wireless access point due to security concerns. Months later I found that there was indeed an access point, and it was not secured in any manner whatsoever. If you see that the computer you are on allows the user unrestricted save privileges, you may wish to think twice about typing anything sensitive there.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

macanon
May 2, 2005, 02:12 AM

I am paranoid about hardware keyloggers. They have devices that can fit inline with the keyboard cable that will store keystrokes, so no program installed. Any lab with the cables readily open to the public is liable to this sort of thing :T
I wonder how much it happens?

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2005, 02:38 AM

Never use a machine if you can't be sure you'll erase your tracks after. A keylogger is pretty unlikely. You're probably safest going through and erasing the cache, deleting the cookies and history.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules