Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Hard Drive Question

Hard Drive Question
newmacnow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2007, 07:40 AM

I just bought a Newer Tech miniStack case and put my 120GB, 7200RPM drive into it to hook to my 24"iMac.

I did some testing. Maybe the results are obvious and I just don't understand, sorry in advance if that is the case.

Copying a 5.73 GB folder From miniStack to iMac drive
USB2 - 4 minutes 58 seconds
Firewire 400 - 2 minutes 56 seconds

Duplicating the folder directly on the iMac drive, with the miniStack disconnected from the computer.
5 minutes 58 seconds.

Why would duplicating the file on the internal drive be slower then copying from the external drive? Even USB2? In all three tests I was writing to the internal drive.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Apr 19, 2007, 08:23 AM

Because your reading and writing to the same drive versus reading from one and writing to another. How much memory is on the iMac?
Randy

newmacnow  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2007, 08:58 AM

I have 2 GB.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Apr 20, 2007, 12:01 PM

I've found performance varies considerably depending how full the disk is as well (slows down substantially as the disk fills up). But yes, reading and writing to the same disk will be much slower. A fairer test would be duplicating the same file on the external drive.

CanadaRAM
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2007, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by newmacnow View Post
120GB, 7200RPM drive
I did some testing.

Copying a 5.73 GB folder From miniStack to iMac drive
USB2 - 4 minutes 58 seconds
Firewire 400 - 2 minutes 56 seconds

Duplicating the folder directly on the iMac drive, with the miniStack disconnected from the computer. 5 minutes 58 seconds.

Why would duplicating the file on the internal drive be slower then copying from the external drive? Even USB2? In all three tests I was writing to the internal drive.
To expand on a previous answer: it's the difference between using one set of heads, and two.

When you copy from one drive to another, the source drive's heads can stay in position reading the file continuously, while the target drive's heads can be continuously writing.

Now when you duplicate on one drive (or copy between two partitions on the same physical drive) then the one set of heads has to continually shuttle back and forth between reading one area -- shuttle -- writing to the destination -- shuttle -- reading -- shuttle -- writing.

The access time between each read and write is what costs you the extra 3 minutes vs. FIrewire.

Thinking about this for a second, the next conclusion is: when you are doing large projects (Photoshop. FinalCut, Motion, digital audio, etc) you can see how important it is to put your data on a separate physical drive from the boot drive -- because the swap files, which are usually on the boot drive get accessed ALL the time, so putting the data and the swap on different drives maximizes your performance. If you can, you can split up Data, System (swap) and Photoshop Scratch space onto three different drives for even better performance.

Oh, and your test shows why "400 Mbs' Firewire kicks "480 Mbs" USB 2.0's can all around the schoolyard. USB relies too much on the CPU of the Mac to manage the transfer, so it can't sustain high transfer rates, esp. when there is contention for processor cycles.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules