Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > got my ibook today, internet question

got my ibook today, internet question
cubcake1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2005, 12:49 PM

When setting up the ibook for the first time, it noticed my linksys wireless connection.

It asked me for the password. I know it didnt mean the admin password, (tried it anyway)

I know its asking for my wep pass of which I have 5 keys.

I tried all the keys and it would not accept any as passowords.

I did get on the net with it but only by disableing the WEP.

How do I enable my WEP back and communicate the "password" to the ibook?

Thanks!

pat++
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 07:17 PM

Depending on the format of the password, select WEP Password HEX or ASCII in the popup menu and it should work.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 3, 2005, 07:25 PM

The WEP key it wants is the first hex key listed in the Linksys access point. To enter it correctly, you must either select the "hex" input option button, or start the entry with a '$' (without the quotes). The '$' tells the AirPort card to read the input as hex, otherwise it will read it as simple text, and the key will be wrong.

The next thing you need to do is get a new access point or router that supports WPA. WEP is horrendously insecure, whereas WPA is extremely secure. Further, the WPA standard includes a standard way of interpreting keys/passphrases, so no matter whose products you use, they will all accept the same key in the same way.

Finally, remember to ask networking questions (this is not really about your iBook) in the Networking forum, where a lot more network-savy people will look for questions and post answers.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules