Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Questions about my new PB ...

Questions about my new PB ...
neal1973
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2005, 08:07 PM

Should I be worried about the following issues on my new PB?

(15", 100 GB HD, 512MB RAM + 1GB Crucial upgrade - delivered today!)

1. The battery indicator suddenly only goes up to 95%

2. It's got a Hitachi HD, but the general forum chatter indicates that Seagates are faster, less noisey and generate less heat. Is this true for these new Hitatchi HDs? Should I be sending it back and insisting on Seagate? Can I do this? I must admit it is getting hotter than I expected, but I have no way of knowing if it is louder than other powerbooks as this is my first.

3. I have installed the 1 x 1GB RAM upgrade myself, but the PB won't recognise the original 512MB chip (which is now in the second slot)

Any thoughts or help much appreciated!!
( Last edited by neal1973; Dec 7, 2005 at 08:21 PM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2005, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by neal1973
1. The battery indicator suddenly only goes up to 95%

2. It's got a Hitachi HD, but the general forum chatter indicates that Seagates are faster, less noisey and generate less heat. Is this true for these new Hitatchi HDs? Should I be sending it back and insisting on Seagate? Can I do this? I must admit it is getting hotter than I expected, but I have no way of knowing if it is louder than other powerbooks as this is my first.

3. I have installed the 1 x 1GB RAM upgrade myself, but the PB won't recognise the original 512MB chip (which is now in the second slot)
1. Have you calibrated the battery?

2. Depends which review you read. Some say the Hitachis are faster. According to the spec sheets from Hitachi and Seagate, the Hitachis are 1db louder; similarly power consumption is nearly equal.

3. The 512MB probably isn't seated. Take it out and put it back in.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2005, 01:47 AM

1. as said above battery calibration may help.

2. I wouldn't worry about it, hatachi is a good company and makes good drives. 1db of noise and a degree of heat mean very little in this case. I doubt you will notice any speed difference in anything real world between the two. The head you're experiencing is 99% not from the hard drive, which runs relatively cool compared to the processor.

3. It's probably not seated correctly (again state above). Try reseating it, if that doesn't work try swapping the chip slots and see if that fixes anything. If neither of these things work, call apple.
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Forum Links
Forum Rules