Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Transferring Data/Information

Transferring Data/Information
Abbas
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 27, 2006, 04:38 AM

I should be getting my MBP end of this week and will want to transfer data/info from my Mac Mini. I was just wondering how this works with Microsoft Office as I have Entourage with almost one GB of mail that I wouldnt wanna re-download on the MBP.

In the initial setup, the MBP will ask me if I want to transfer data but since Entourage isnt installed, I was wondering what the correct procedure would be?

Thanks

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2006, 06:03 AM

You can use the Migration Assistant that appears upon first boot of your new system. Yet, the second time I used Migration Assistant it failed to transfer a significant portion of my files, so I no longer trust it. Instead, I now go the cloning route - using the Restore function of Disk Utility to clone the old Mac's contents on to the new Mac's drive. Migration Assistant is a much easier process, however, and it seems to work for most people. Try that first.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Abbas  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 27, 2006, 08:41 AM

Thanks for your reply.

Does Migration Wizard also transfer my apps or just the data? If its just the data, then will it sync my Entourage data even though I dont have Entourage installed? IF yes, then after syncind data and then installing Entourage, will all my emails, addresses etc. automatically appear inside Entourage?

Thanks again

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2006, 09:44 AM

Migration Assistant can transfer your apps for you too if you want it to.

I don't recommend cloning your drive from your mini to the MBP if it is a G4 mini - the OS on the MBP is intel specific and replacing it with the PPC version will screw up your computer.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2006, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by JKT
I don't recommend cloning your drive from your mini to the MBP if it is a G4 mini - the OS on the MBP is intel specific and replacing it with the PPC version will screw up your computer.
Oops, I didn't even consider what he was upgrading to when I made that suggestion. Sorry about that.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Mar 27, 2006, 04:23 PM

isnt the data for entourage stored in the "Microsoft User Data" folder in your Documents folder?

OreoCookie
Mar 27, 2006, 05:40 PM

Use Migration Assistant. That's what I did just today when I got my MacBook Pro

No problem whatsoever
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules