Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod shuffle got wet, and now only works as a USB

iPod shuffle got wet, and now only works as a USB
suntzu20
Mar 29, 2006, 07:14 AM

I got my iPod shuffle wet on accident and i think that it's almost dry. it's been 24 hours, but i can't tell my mom that i broke it. i just got it 3 days ago. it works as a usb, but it dosent playback music and none of the lights come on. (they are only on when it's plugged into a computer). should i just return it saying that it quit working? or should i try to fix it? someone please help!!

Dr.Michael
Mar 29, 2006, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by neon_glow16
I got my iPod shuffle wet on accident and i think that it's almost dry. it's been 24 hours, but i can't tell my mom that i broke it. i just got it 3 days ago. it works as a usb, but it dosent playback music and none of the lights come on. (they are only on when it's plugged into a computer). should i just return it saying that it quit working? or should i try to fix it? someone please help!!
Bad accident!
Don't touch it, don't try to repair it. This will void your warranty.
Just let it dry completely, check again that it is dead and return it. Tell them, it suddenly stopped to work. Don't mention anything. Then apple will replace it. But make sure there is no way to find out that you did more than just play music.
I hope it looks like new, without scratches or any other marks. Then replacement will not be a problem.

suntzu20  (op)
Mar 29, 2006, 03:21 PM

I'll work on that. Im going to just let it go & dry. I'll try to get it to work when I get home from school. & if it dont work, I'll take your advice & return it. It has no scratches at all. It looks brand new. Then again, it is. But yea, thanks.

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2006, 10:23 PM

Could the battery have shorted out? If it's accessible with the computer as a USB flash drive, and the lights work with that, it could just be the battery, unless the software running portion got hosed.

If you try a warranty return, they'll probably check to see what happened. They'll be able to identify water damage.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2006, 05:39 AM

i once jumped into a pool with my shuffle in my pocket. hung out for about 10 minutes before realizing its in my pocket. i quickly took it out and let it bake under the palm springs sun and didnt touch it for a good 2 days (where i left it under the sun) and when i picked it up to play it...it worked good as new. it then stopped working 8 months after, and i returned it at an apple store with 4 days left on my warranty and got a brand new one. needless to say i got real lucky and count my lucky stars every night.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

suntzu20  (op)
Apr 2, 2006, 04:29 PM

well the ipod never worked afterwards, so i just went and returned it. they gave me a new one and it's al good now. but thanks for everyones help. that thing was just being retarded, i guess. because my new one is perfectly fine & im doing pretty good to not drop this one in water.

Forum Links
Forum Rules