Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple 23 inch display, white patches

Apple 23 inch display, white patches
Sman55
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 05:35 PM

I just bought a 23 inch apple cinema display. When the screen is showing a black background there are whitish patches around the edge of the screen, as if the edge of the display is being pinched. Is this normal?

Den

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2006, 07:19 PM

I would have to say no. Mine doesn't have that problem, however I've seen what you describe in my iBook and to a lesser extent in a PowerBook I used to have. It isn't noticeable when displaying a normal picture or whatever, only when there's a solid color on screen, like the boot up screen.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2006, 12:17 AM

it's light leakage from the display.

Alex

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2006, 12:54 AM

Backlight bleeding. It's apparently really common with the 23" unfortunately. I just got mine and it has pretty noticeable bleeding on a black screen (luckily it's not noticeable otherwise, not sure if it's worth replacing).
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Sman55  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2006, 02:57 AM

This is the second one I have had -the first had three dead pixels and so much light leakage, the whole screen was mottled. made me wonder if I was getting refurbs. I'm going to send this one back and maybe cancel the order and get a dell 24 inch which seems to have very good reviews.

I see on the apple discussion forum many other people have this problem too. I just expected apple monitors to be ace!

Den

Thanks for your comments/

Forum Links
Forum Rules