Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Serial port camera control in OS X?

Serial port camera control in OS X?
Markarian421
Aug 12, 2006, 12:34 AM

Does anyone know of a program (command line is fine) that can be used to control serial port only cameras from OS X? (Using a USB to serial port adapter.)

I have an old Linux (as in 10 years) PC (held together with strapping tape) that uses gphoto2 to control a Nikon CoolPix 800 over the serial port, and I'd love to get the same thing working under OS X so I could get rid of that computer. I was hoping gphoto would just compile on OS X, and maybe someone (like Fink or Darwin Ports) would have a binary even, but no luck on either count. (If you can point me to a working port of gphoto you would make me very happy.)

So I went looking for something easier. It looks like Cameraid used to do this sort of thing under OS 9 but dropped serial port camera control under OS X.

So, anyone know of a current solution? What I would really love is something that does for serial port cameras what EvoCam does for my iSIght. (In my dreams.)

Thanks.

-- Brian
Known to cause insanity in laboratory mice

Markarian421  (op)
Aug 13, 2006, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Markarian421
Does anyone know of a program (command line is fine) that can be used to control serial port only cameras from OS X? (Using a USB to serial port adapter.)
I found an answer: photopc (http://photopc.sourceforge.net/)

It's older and less general than gphoto, but for my particular camera (a Nikon CoolPix 800) it works (and may even be better since it has a number of very specific camera control commands). And DarwinPorts (soon to be MacPorts) has a port of it, so I didn't even have to try and compile it myself. Just now I was running the Nikon from my iBook over a Keyspan serial port adapter. So it looks good. (Unless you happen to be my 10 year old Linux PC which is about to be replaced by a Mini.)
Known to cause insanity in laboratory mice

Forum Links
Forum Rules