Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook delay before sleep

MacBook delay before sleep
Macola
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2006, 07:47 PM

Ever since 10.4.8 (Combo update), my MacBook takes almost 30 secs before going to sleep. This happens whether I select Sleep from the menu or close the lid. I've turned off Airport and Bluetooth and disconnected all peripherals, but it doesn't make a difference. So far, I've done the usual maintenance routines and also reset the PMU.

Any other ideas?
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2006, 03:25 AM

If the sleep light is shining, but not pulsating during that time:

It's always done that; you've just never noticed it.

When a machine goes to sleep, it goes into "safe sleep", meaning that the entire contents of the RAM are dumped to the hard disk, so you don't lose anything in case the battery goes dead while asleep. That takes a while, though the amount of time varies with what you've been doing with your machine.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2006, 04:57 AM

safe sleep almost killed my MacBook once. I was in a rush and closed my MacBook's lid fast and put it in my highly padded backpack. A hour later I got home and my MacBook was hotter than my oven! The fan was blowing at full speed so I shut it down and put it next to a powerful fan to cool it quick (I was going to put it in the fridge but the temp. shock might have broke something).

Now I wait to make sure its asleep.
Signature depreciated.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2006, 06:01 AM

That's not such a big deal. It will sht off completely before it overheats. Even in a padded bag.

Macola  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2006, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
If the sleep light is shining, but not pulsating during that time:

It's always done that; you've just never noticed it.
This is happening with normal sleep (pulsating light). Before 10.4.8, it would go to sleep almost instantly, so I suspect that the update had something to do with it, but I'm not sure what.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2006, 03:56 AM

Wait - it ALWAYS lights up and stays lit up for some time (while it writes the RAM contents to the disk) before it actually starts pulsating.

Safe sleep is not something you can turn on or off.

Macola  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2006, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Wait - it ALWAYS lights up and stays lit up for some time (while it writes the RAM contents to the disk) before it actually starts pulsating.

No, the delay is even before that. I select Sleep from the Apple menu, then nothing happens for about 30 secs (no light), then the steady light followed by pulsating as usual. Sorry, I didn't make that clear in my last post.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2006, 08:15 PM

Ah, okay, sorry.

That is strange.

Perhaps try having the Activity Viewer window open, sorted by CPU%, and see whether there's some rogue process briefly going crazy just after your machine gets the "sleep" command?

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2006, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post

http://www.moduli.net/articles/2006/...k-in-the-clear

Safe sleep can be turned off in the command line. I originally read that here at MacNN, after the MBP came out, so there should be a thread about it here. I was just too lazy to use the search.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2006, 02:43 AM

Yes, I know. But there's no button option for it, so it's not something that can happen inadvertently.

Forum Links
Forum Rules