Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is it okay to eat horses

View Poll Results: Is it okay to eat horses?
Poll Options:
Yes 55 votes (63.22%)
No 26 votes (29.89%)
Not sure 6 votes (6.90%)
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll
Is it okay to eat horses
wallinbl
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2006, 03:09 PM

There's a bill up for vote in the US House to ban the slaughter of horses for purposes of food (http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/01/nel...ry/index.html). Most people in this country feel pretty strongly that you shouldn't eat horses, but why is that? What makes them so different from a cow or a pig? It's meat, isn't it? Why should we be so bothered that other countries choose different meat than we choose?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2006, 03:25 PM

Exactly, meat is meat. Plenty of people eat horse meat. Why shouldn't we?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2006, 03:29 PM

I only eat award-winning racing horses.

Secretariat was tasty

-t

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2006, 03:30 PM

Sales of horse meat went up during the mad cow scare.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2006, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck View Post
I only eat award-winning racing horses.

Secretariat was tasty

-t
Would a Sea Biscuit Burger be sea food?

-Owl

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2006, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
Most people in this country feel pretty strongly that you shouldn't eat horses, but why is that?
It's cultural. We generally value horses too much to consider them food.
What makes them so different from a cow or a pig?
I don't know, but there are lots of people who don't eat cows or pigs.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2006, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
There's a bill up for vote in the US House to ban the slaughter of horses for purposes of food (http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/01/nel...ry/index.html). Most people in this country feel pretty strongly that you shouldn't eat horses, but why is that? What makes them so different from a cow or a pig? It's meat, isn't it? Why should we be so bothered that other countries choose different meat than we choose?
I think the reason people feel so strongly about horses is that we have a very strong bond with them. Horses are a part of human history. They played a huge roll in our growth and societal evolution. They are ingrained in us very deeply. And with this bond comes a feeling that we owe them a deep respect, which includes not eating them.

Cows and pigs, while important in our history for agriculture and farming and such, don't come close to sharing that deep connection we have with horses.

I agree that horses should be left off the list of animals that is not OK to eat. Where do you draw the line though? I don't know, I just know that personally I feel that horses should be held at a higher regard than cows or pigs. I mean its not OK to eat dogs or cats in our culture, as well as other animals such as baby cows (veal). Why we would put horses on the list with cows and pigs and not with dogs and cats I don't understand. I think horses are the one animal that shares such a deep bond with human beings that we need to respect that regardless of our hunger for meat.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2006, 03:58 PM

The social conventions surrounding the eating of animals are a matter of fashion and tradition, not ethics. Historically, westerners tended not to eat dogs or horses because they had higher utility for hunting and traveling. Other cultures may not have needed dogs or horses for such purposes. (Imagine a small island society based on fishing, for example.)

In a pluralistic society, we ought to accept differing eating habits being what they are: literally, a matter of taste.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2006, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Where do you draw the line though?
Do we really need such a line?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2006, 04:04 PM

I've eaten horse and it was good. I see not much difference between a horse and a cow.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2006, 04:04 PM

A horse is just another type of meat, and, as such, should be on the edible's list. if one doesn't want to eat horse meat, for whatever reason, then no one is going to force one to eat horse meat, just as no one can force you to eat hamburgers, or shrimp, etc., etc. I don't have any sentimental bond with horses, just because we rode them while we were conquering America, or because they pulled the plows, or whatever. An animal is an animal, and they all deserve to be treated fairly, and not abused, nor used as something for our own amusements, such as zoo animals are. I rarely eat red meat, but I don't care if someone else does, and I would expect the same rights to eat what I want.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2006, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
The social conventions surrounding the eating of animals are a matter of fashion and tradition, not ethics. Historically, westerners tended not to eat dogs or horses because they had higher utility for hunting and traveling. Other cultures may not have needed dogs or horses for such purposes. (Imagine a small island society based on fishing, for example.)

In a pluralistic society, we ought to accept differing eating habits being what they are: literally, a matter of taste.
I disagree. That may have been the case in the distant past, but I think in this day and age where horses and dogs and cats are not nearly as utilitarian as they used to be, that the conflict comes more from ethics than fashion or tradition. I agree that cultural differences exist and in a society such as ours they deserve to be at least considered. But I think that those who are against eating such animals as dogs, cats or horses are against it because of the deep feelings they have towards those animals.

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Do we really need such a line?
I don't know, but my gut feeling tells me we do.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2006, 04:10 PM

There still should be no law telling what I can and what I can't eat. That should be a matter of personal choice.

(I just know some joker will bring up cannibalism of course....)

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2006, 04:15 PM

Glad to see that Congress is still busy taking care of important business such as this

bstone
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2006, 04:19 PM

As an ethical human being I eat no meat, except if it's my mother's home made gefilte fish for passover and rosh hashana, then I become unethical.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2006, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by itai195 View Post
Glad to see that Congress is still busy taking care of important business such as this
Hey you can only get so much done when you work 95 days a year.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2006, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by itai195 View Post
It will cost a lot less than if they waste their time on immigration.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Rumor
Nov 2, 2006, 04:38 PM

Please don't eat me, Wilbur.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2006, 05:28 PM

I eat whatever is edible when i'm starving and there's nothing left......or a gun was pulled to my head. But if i had a choice, I'd go vegan.

Don't bully me, I got an Uzi... HOO-HAH!

Annette310
Nov 2, 2006, 05:31 PM

Horse Meat??? Oh goodness...I'm vegetarian. So I say Don't Eat any Meat!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Annette310 View Post
Horse Meat??? Oh goodness...I'm vegetarian. So I say Don't Eat any Meat!
Uncle Doofy concurs.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2006, 06:21 PM

The second option really should have been 'neigh'.

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2006, 06:23 PM

I said no, but what I really mean is: "No, it's not ok to eat horses, but it IS ok to lick them off of the backs of stamps...."

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2006, 06:26 PM

Doesn't the consumption of horse meat cause issues with certain antibiotics?

Otherwise, meat is meat. I wouldn't eat it, but if someone else wants to, more power to them.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 2, 2006, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by MacNStein View Post
Doesn't the consumption of horse meat cause issues with certain antibiotics?
Yes, if by "issues" you mean that it doesn't contain as much antibiotics as beef (and no hormones), since nearly all the horse meat grown in USA is sold to Europe, where those additives are unwelcome.

It's funny that the USA is also the biggest source of horse meat for Europe, since they don't produce anywhere near enough of it to cover their consumption.

Either way, this potential law is stupid: the horse butcher I spoke to here in Zurich (I'm in Switzerland for another few days) said that if the USA bans horse slaughter, all that will happen is that the 4 US horse slaughterhouses will ship the horses to Canada for slaughter, meaning that the live horse will have more stress and suffering in shipping, and will still end up on a European plate.

tooki

Rolling Bones
Banned
Nov 2, 2006, 07:00 PM

Ugly animal (cow, steer) OK to eat.

Handsome animal (horse, equus) No eat.

I don't understand this!

I voted yes.

I don't think horses should be raised for such, but to waste good meat for cats when it's time to go to horesy heaven is a shame.

I think people who know horses would be surely offended. Horses are smart, love human companionship and can be a friend and stress reducer and much more.

So I would not eat horse meat myself.

I'll stick to pigs. They're real ugly (except for piglets, they, cute).

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 2, 2006, 07:31 PM

Yes.

I’m a vegetarian, too, so I don’t eat horse; but I have absolutely no problem with others eating horse meat. Apart from cannibalism and endangered species, people should be allowed to eat whatever kind of meat they want.

The thought of eating certain kinds of meat (i.e., ants, cockroaches, sea slugs, jellyfish, etc.) is quite disgusting to me; but that doesn’t mean that people to whom it’s not shouldn’t be allowed to eat these kinds of meat.

I used to live on a farm with some high school mates [yes, very redneck] where we raised horses, and the basic motto round that house was that once a horse was old and died, it would be eaten.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2006, 07:40 PM

I love horse. Some excellent lean meat to be had there. Cured horse sausage is also delicious.

I don't understand the "Don't eat me because I'm cute" logic. If it's good eating, it's good eating. Currently my favourite dish is Vindaloo Roo (As in kangaroo). Yum.

[Our rules have NOT changed, so 640x480 images are still too big. Image removed. -tooki]

I also love goat and lamb.

On the other hand I don't like veal, but I do like frog.

In conclusion: As long as it's good, and come from a sustainable population (I wouldn't make anything extinct for me to eat it), I fully support it. I'd even have cat and dog if cleanly prepared and presented to me.
( Last edited by tooki; Nov 2, 2006 at 08:17 PM. )

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Rumor
Nov 2, 2006, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
"Don't eat me because I'm cute"
The cuter the, uh, nevermind.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2006, 08:05 PM

Personally I also find cows "cuter" than horses:

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 2, 2006, 08:19 PM

I haven't had kangaroo yet. But I had a nice ostrich steak at a restaurant last night, and it was delicious. (Though to be honest, it'd be hard to tell it apart from beef. It's like beef, but cheaper, at least in Europe.)

tooki

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 2, 2006, 08:20 PM

I know that people eat dog meat, but I am far too fond of dogs for their personalities to be interested in that. Likewise, I like horses as the working animals I know them to be, rather than the food animals some see them as. I understand that this is a personal, and wholly artificial differentiation, but that's how my mind works.

No horseburgers or horse steaks for me. I'll stick to cattle, chickens and the occasional pig (none of which have ever demonstrated a personality I could detect).

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
I haven't had kangaroo yet. But I had a nice ostrich steak at a restaurant last night, and it was delicious. (Though to be honest, it'd be hard to tell it apart from beef. It's like beef, but cheaper, at least in Europe.)

tooki
I wouldn't have any problem with ostrich or emu-ever pay much attention to either bird? Big as they are they still seem to have about the same brain as a pigeon-and again no real personality when compared to dogs and horses.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2006, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
No horseburgers or horse steaks for me. I'll stick to cattle, chickens and the occasional pig (none of which have ever demonstrated a personality I could detect).

It's all in the eye of the beholder.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 2, 2006, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post

It's all in the eye of the beholder.
I grew up close enough to relatives that farmed that I didn't get the "awwww! Isn't that pig CUTE!" stuff growing up. They are difficult and sometimes dangerous animals. Geese are MEAN. Chickens are stupid and smelly. Turkeys are too, but more so. Cows are just so blank... Nope, these eyes are not seeing those animals as "cute." They're "what's for dinner."

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2006, 09:09 PM

@ Glenn

My cow wags her tail when you say her name. She's no more stupid than your average Jessica Simpson (OK, OK, so my cow's udders are smaller. I suppose that goes against her).

Sealobo
Nov 2, 2006, 09:21 PM

Ate horse meat once in Canada in some fancy restaurant... no big deal; can't really remember the taste of it.

Tried dog meat a few times in China... now THAT'S somethin' memorable.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2006, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post

tooki
There used to be an Australian restaurant in Berlin called Woolloomooloo.
My favorite dish, the dreamtime platter: ostrich, crocodile and cangaroo. Just excellent, I loved it.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 2, 2006, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
@ Glenn

My cow wags her tail when you say her name. She's no more stupid than your average Jessica Simpson (OK, OK, so my cow's udders are smaller. I suppose that goes against her).
Obviously you know your cow and she knows you-I've never been "introduced" to a cow. But I've lived with dogs all my life and horses on and off, so our experiences are obviously quite different.

Does she give better milk when you talk nice to her?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2006, 10:38 PM

Obviously you know your cow and she knows you-I've never been "introduced" to a cow.
Well, point was, they're not as "blank" as you think.

But I've lived with dogs all my life and horses on and off, so our experiences are obviously quite different.
Yeah, I got the horses too. You can eat the Arabs if you want to (they're a PITA, need their bits chopping off).

Does she give better milk when you talk nice to her?
No milk. She's just a field mower.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2006, 10:55 PM

I find it interesting that people love pork, but balk at the idea of eating horse, even though pigs are much more intelligent than horses.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2006, 01:06 AM

There is nothing wrong with horse meat. The Mongol horde of Genghis Khan used horses as transportation and food.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 01:21 AM

people eat deer all the time. I find them "cuter" than a horse. I'm sure both are much better for you since theres little to no fat on either animal compared to a juiced up cow.

Who cares again?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2006, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by SeSawaya View Post
Who cares again?
Apparently the people footing the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act.

I don't understand why Vegans couldn't try sneaking in a American Livestock Slaughter Prevention Act while no one is looking either.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by ::maroma::
I mean its not OK to eat dogs or cats in our culture, as well as other animals such as baby cows (veal).
What the f***? It's not okay to eat veal? What madness is this?

talisker
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by red rocket View Post
What the f***? It's not okay to eat veal? What madness is this?
It's fine and dandy to eat veal. The issue many people have with veal concerns animal cruelty, because in many countries at various points in time calves have been stuffed into tiny crates to stop them moving around, therefore creating whiter meat (or something along these lines).

Unfortunately peoples' understandable disgust at this process has tarnished the very thought of veal, even though much of it is now produced in completely humane ways. Also people think there's something distasteful about eating cute little baby calves.

There was a recent report on one of Gordon Ramsay's 326 different TV series in the UK about British veal. The practice of using veal crates has been banned in the UK for around 10 years. Veal calves are slaughtered at an older age than lambs. So there's no reason not to eat it. And it's lovely.

In fact, if British people don't eat British veal, the young calves are exported to Europe, where they still do get put into crates. Therefore, eating British veal actually prevents animal cruelty. So even vegetarians should be doing it if they really care about animals.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2006, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by talisker View Post
So even vegetarians should be doing it if they really care about animals.
One too many pints of the old Heavy there by the sounds of it.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 07:45 AM

Horse. The other, other white meat!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2006, 08:46 AM

That poll needs an 'of course' option.

Horses are food too.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2006, 09:31 AM

Deer, Dog, Cat, Goat, Horse, Cow, Pig, rat, Squrril, Opossum, Duck, Goose, Turkey, Chicken, Bear, Moose, Snake, Tarantula, Monkey, Lamb, Whale, Seal, and just about everything else with legs has been eaten by humans at some time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules