Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Automated calls beggin me to vote.

Automated calls beggin me to vote.
Railroader
Banned
Nov 7, 2006, 07:01 PM

They're coming about every five minutes now. I unplugged the phone.

Both sides are calling in equal numbers.

I hope this is not a sign of future elections.

marden
Baninated
Nov 7, 2006, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post

I think it's here to stay. Remember the stories during the Israeli war on Hezbollah when Lebanese homeowners said they received automated calls telling them to get out of Dodge because death was soon going to rain down upon them?

That was the same thing.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2006, 07:52 PM

well ... did you heed the messages ... and vote?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post

Sorry, I hate to say it, but Only in Amaraca !

-t

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Nov 7, 2006, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck View Post
Sorry, I hate to say it, but Only in Amaraca !

-t
I hope so! I wouldn't wish this kind of treatment on ANYONE!

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2006, 08:58 PM

you never know .. the japanese like that kinda techie stuff.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 01:27 AM

Same here, there've been a ton of automated election calls this year. We've been getting at least 1 or 2 a day for the last month... And the election in CA isn't even particularly contentious this year.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 8, 2006, 09:37 AM

I have the option of registering to vote without stating a party preference, so I don't' wind up on quite so many calling or mailing lists. But last week I got tons of calls, mostly recordings-good thing I wasn't home, or it would have driven me nuts. I also got a lot of hangups... Gotta wonder about that.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 09:41 AM

Yeah, the republican party left me 3 messages this year, even thought I'm not registered to any political party.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2006, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I have the option of registering to vote without stating a party preference
Wait. You're telling me that some people don't have the option to register to vote without stating a party preference?

There's something just not right about that.

And regarding the automated calls thing... ...that ain't right either. Either you put up with the crap all day or you unplug your phone? ...what happens if (say) your elderly mom is trying to make an emergency call to you because she's fallen over in her house?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2006, 09:55 AM

This kind of annoying crap would seriously piss me off! Not the least if I already *had* voted and those asswipes would still be bombarding me with automated calls!

grr

You have my sympathy Railroader.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Wait. You're telling me that some people don't have the option to register to vote without stating a party preference?

There's something just not right about that.
Here's another. Not being registered to the Republicans or Democrats, I can not vote in my States primary.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2006, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Here's another. Not being registered to the Republicans or Democrats, I can not vote in my States primary.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 10:48 AM

Certain states only allow you to vote in a primary for a candidate in the party you are registered to. Being affiliated with no party results in no say in the primaries.

(Other cooler states allow the non-affiliated to vote for a candidate from any party)

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2006, 11:02 AM

Certain states only allow you to vote in a primary for a candidate in the party you are registered to. Being affiliated with no party results in no say in the primaries.

(Other cooler states allow the non-affiliated to vote for a candidate from any party)
Sorry, I don't understand "primaries" so this is probably why I'm not getting it. Here, you just go vote *once* for whoever you hate least.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 11:05 AM

A primary is where you go in the spring and choose from several candidates that range from good to horrible and narrow them down to horrible.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary...ican_Primaries

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Nov 8, 2006, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by itai195 View Post
Same here, there've been a ton of automated election calls this year. We've been getting at least 1 or 2 a day for the last month... And the election in CA isn't even particularly contentious this year.
We were getting 10+ calls an hour.

It didn't help that I am affiliated with both parties pretty equally. But by far were the "independent" one just begging me to go and vote.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar� View Post
Thing is, the primaries are elections for party candidates, so that makes sense to me. CA dabbled with open primaries for a while in the late 90s and it was a mess.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 12:20 PM

It's why we need runoffs.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 8, 2006, 11:11 PM

Unfortunately, Texas is one of those states that requires registration by party-though you can do it at the poll on primary day. The way elections here work is almost always, if you win the primary for the party that's basically in control, you win in November.

I'm still not done figuring out which party I want to register with so I can hose up the other (or vice versa) because our Republicans are crooked bastards with hearts of lead, while our Democrats are less crooked bastards with hearts they THINK are made of gold-but they never do anything but spout the party line and act like they've always been in tight with the Hispanic voter (wrong, even when the candidate is Hispanic him- or herself). Our Dems are more truly ideological than our Repbulicans, unless sucking up to evangelicals and people with huge pots of money is considered an ideology. You must now see my dilemma...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2006, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by marden View Post
I think it's here to stay. Remember the stories during the Israeli war on Hezbollah when Lebanese homeowners said they received automated calls telling them to get out of Dodge because death was soon going to rain down upon them?

That was the same thing.
You know, someday you are actually going to be onto something scary, but nobody is going to listen to you because with you everything is life or death. Cry wolf less.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2006, 12:22 AM

Unfortunately, Texas is one of those states that requires registration by party-though you can do it at the poll on primary day. The way elections here work is almost always, if you win the primary for the party that's basically in control, you win in November.
This is how it happens in Chicago. Same with registering at the poll.

The one "difference" here though is that everybody runs as a Democrat. The winner of the primary will often go unopposed.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2006, 12:36 PM

I'm still not done figuring out which party I want to register with so I can hose up the other (or vice versa) because our Republicans are crooked bastards with hearts of lead, while our Democrats are less crooked bastards with hearts they THINK are made of gold-but they never do anything but spout the party line and act like they've always been in tight with the Hispanic voter (wrong, even when the candidate is Hispanic him- or herself). Our Dems are more truly ideological than our Repbulicans, unless sucking up to evangelicals and people with huge pots of money is considered an ideology. You must now see my dilemma...
Register libertarian.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 9, 2006, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
Register libertarian.
They don't have primaries, and again, if you don't vote in the primary you wind up without much of a choice here. AND it's a difficult thing to decide WHICH primary to vote in-the Republican to try to put someone with a brain that's bigger than his wallet on the ballot, or the Democrat to try to put someone who USES his brain on the ballot against the wallet-brain Republican. It's not easy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules