Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Making the Sony 200 DVD Changer readable by Mac? Anybody?

Making the Sony 200 DVD Changer readable by Mac? Anybody?
MovieQuickieGuy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2006, 12:49 AM

Hi...

Now it doesn't surprise me that Sony tries to make our lives difficult because we use a Mac. Its very rare to find something compatible, especially a peripheral..

And so I come across that Sony 200 disc DVD Changer VGP-XL1P.

I would like to know if any of you have any experience creating drivers for devices like a DVD Changer. This changer claims it can only be used on a PC (and only XP Media Center)..

I'd like to create a program using this DVD Changer for my company, however I need the Mac to be able to read it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kory

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2006, 12:57 AM

Could be done, but you'd have an easier time of it getting the documentation from sony - and we all know that's not likely to happen.

Reading the drives themselves aren't hard- OS X handles that already. It's talking to the changer to tell it when to switch discs, to what number, so on.

Personally, I think that would be great, if the drive was any good, use it for mass sequential ripping of 200 discs at a go.

MovieQuickieGuy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2006, 01:06 AM

Yeah, I've already tried getting the documentation.. Obviously not a chance.. And I actually hired someone who claimed they could do it.. they used software called 'busTrace' that was able to read the firewire signals.. Unfortunately the guy I hired was not able to complete the project. He claimed he had the time, but he didn't. However he did say he made the driver, but I have yet to see it.

And yes, actually the software that's being built is going to be ripping massive amounts of DVDs.. All legit though.. I have contracts with media companies. I just have no experience in this field.

MovieQuickieGuy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2006, 01:10 AM

By the way, would you know any other forums that may be familiar with this topic??

Thanks!

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 13, 2006, 11:13 AM

ice

Forum Links
Forum Rules