Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > P2P and Proxy

P2P and Proxy
jdrumstik
Feb 2, 2007, 02:08 AM

First of all, the new feel is great, well suited for us Mac Users.

Okay, so i want to connect to a p2p network, however I live in a student apartment complex, which as blocked many ports to not allow p2p type proggies.

So I found some sites with load of Proxy Servers and I tried several, all through the port 80, but none could connect.

So im using Lime Wire, and I can't get anything to connect. If I change the firewall setting to listen on port 80(cause I know that has to be open) then it tells me that the port is unavailable and I cannot use it.

So I tried some more proxies with no luck

Is anyone familiar with using proxies and P2P proggies.

Maybe if I found a proggie or some way to usefully use netstat to see what ports have been left open, maybe then the (listen in on port) option in limewire would work on one of those open ports.

Does anyone have any ideas?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 2, 2007, 09:19 AM

Here's the deal: it's THEIR network and they can do what they want with it. They have very carefully configured their network so that you should be able to do any research and normal web tasks without much bother, but anything that would eat up huge amounts of bandwidth or get the school in trouble is blocked. That takes a savvy computer security policy and decent network admins with good skills and tools. More on that later.

Further, circumventing their network protections can be a violation of any number of agreements you're party to with the school-and that can get you anything from booted from student housing to being expelled. And there are very good reasons for the school to block stuff like Limewire: they have limited (though probably pretty large) available bandwidth for everyone to share, and if they didn't block high-bandwidth usage stuff like P2P clients then it could very possibly all be taken up by those clients, and schools in the U.S. are not happy when they get letters from the RIAA and MPAA's lawyers about students using those P2P clients to download copyrighted files. My school is adamant about these two issues in particular, and even if you don't violate some specific agreement, if you get the school in trouble YOU could wind up out on your butt fast!

And here's the clincher: if they're smart and capable enough to block that stuff, they're smart and capable enough to be able to track every single packet that goes in or out of their Internet connection. And to track any packet to its local destination. If you do manage to find a way around their limits, they WILL be able to see what you did and who you are. In other words, you can't "get away" with poking through their blocks because the IT managers will see what you did and who you are.

To be fair, I spent quite a while as a corporate computer security officer, so I don't have a lot of sympathy for your problem, but facts are facts-you're using someone else's network, they've protected it quite well, and you can't easily sidestep their protections nor hide that you have managed to do so. BYU-ID is not what you'd call "interested in student creativity" when it comes to one of their major pieces of infrastructure. I've read their policies (which you probably had to sign a statement acknowledging and promising adherence to), and they are NOT "warm and fuzzy" about almost any "unapproved" Internet usage.

Sorry, but I think you're stuck.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jdrumstik  (op)
Feb 2, 2007, 11:34 AM

Well, since im in Private Housing the shcool doesn't get involved at all. Additionally the apartment complex has 8 apartments in it, its small. So they have outsourced it to a company that hires IT students at the school, what that ussually means is that its not that hard to get around.

In my last apartment they had about 40 apartments and they had all sorts of stuff blocked, even myspace so I just went and got a proxy server.

Also they don't monitor where stuff is going, because they have an outside company doing it, and they don't want to sit their and actually look at what people are doing cause its not really their problem.

Anyways the question at hand is if anyone is familiar with any progies that can tell me what ports are open and or how to use a torrent app with port 80 (Since that would obviously work).

Forum Links
Forum Rules