Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How do I save files to left side of desktop

How do I save files to left side of desktop
Chaseme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2007, 02:30 AM

How do I set up things to save to the left side of the desktop?
For example, I save a Word file ->Choose to save to Desktop -- It saves it on the right side of the desktop screen.

I couldn't find the answer in the 'search' or Google.

Thanks for input.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2007, 02:45 AM

That's where icons go by default on the Mac. If you'd rather have them on the left, as in Windows, you'll have to drag them there. I drag icons to the right when I work on PCs, FWIW.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

P
Feb 9, 2007, 06:53 AM

The icons begin on the right because windows begin on the left, so it's more likely that you'll be able to see the icons if they are on the right.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2007, 07:21 PM

The thing that sucks is when it puts them behind the dock. I hope they fix that in Leopard....

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2007, 02:00 AM

Easy - it's the exact same way you get files to save on the right when using Windows.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2007, 04:41 AM

And that would be?
Linkinus is king.

P
Feb 10, 2007, 06:11 AM

He's being funny, brokenjago. You can't.

peeb: My icons are not placed behind the Dock. I don't know if you have an especially big Dock or something - mine is the second smallest setting if you drag with option down - but icons do seem to give enough space on the right to be able to reach part of them even with the Dock at its largest.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2007, 07:24 AM

My dock's on the right side and stuck to the bottom. The first five or so icons are fine, after that they get covered by the dock. Fortunately my desktop is always very tidy. I rarely have more than three items on it at a time.

Visualize
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2007, 08:37 AM

You could make some transparent 128pixels icons(real OS X ones not .icns) and fill the desktop with them, naming them with spaces like " " and the next one " " and so on. just set your desktop icons to 128pixels of course. I think that'll force the icons to the left.

Note: You will have to have ALOT of these icons to fill the desktop. So I would live with having the icons on the right if I were you.

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2007, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
My dock's on the right side and stuck to the bottom. The first five or so icons are fine, after that they get covered by the dock. Fortunately my desktop is always very tidy. I rarely have more than three items on it at a time.
Could it be something to do with using an unsupported location for the Dock (that is, pinned to the bottom)?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2007, 07:10 PM

Isn't the dock always pinned to the bottom by default?

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2007, 10:27 PM

Simon says [sic] he has his located on the right but pinned to the bottom (there are hidden preferences to achieve this but they are not officially supported by Apple which is why I wonder if this is his issue).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2007, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Simon says [sic]
You can't imagine how often I've read that before.

he has his located on the right but pinned to the bottom (there are hidden preferences to achieve this but they are not officially supported by Apple which is why I wonder if this is his issue).
The prefs aren't that hidden if you use something like TinkerTool.

I would expect Apple to implement icon spacing on the desktop in such a way that it respects the Dock position - regardless of where the user has chosen to place the Dock. Obviously they felt differently. But IMHO it's no biggie.
( Last edited by Simon; Feb 15, 2007 at 03:42 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules