Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac won't open Classic enviorment...?

iMac won't open Classic enviorment...?
imacguy309
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2007, 09:56 PM

My new (new to me) iMac 500Mhz Graphite, has not been able open the Classic enviorment, It has alot programs that I run through the classic enviorment, photoshop etc. I've tried starting the Classic from the system preferences and all It goes is half way starting up, then stops... What's going on here anybody have any ideas...

Thanks much,
iMacGuy309
350MHZ iMac G3 Indigo OS X Tiger (The Storage Server)
500MHZ iMac G3 Graphite OS X Panther (The favorited machine)
MacBook G5 OS X Tiger w/iSight (My new addition)
MacBook G4 OS X Tiger (The dust collector)

ibook_steve
Jul 19, 2007, 10:08 PM

Probably a bad install of OS 9. You'll need OS 9 install disks to fix.

Steve

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2007, 12:36 AM

No, first go to the Classic pane of System Preferences and choose to open Classic to the Extensions Manager. When it opens, select Mac OS 9.2.2 Base. Click restart and see if it launches properly. Usually this is an extensions issue - many extensions that worked fine under OS 9 don't work properly in Classic. If that installation of OS 9 was used to boot directly into OS 9, it's very probable that there's an extension incompatible with Classic installed.

If that doesn't help, you need to find a clean OS 9 System Folder from some other source.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules