Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Imac won't wake up from sleep?

Imac won't wake up from sleep?
desmoface
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2008, 08:51 AM

Hello, Im a newly converted Imac user (from pc) so I am still learning. I have been putting my Imac to sleep during the day, while I am away from my puter and all has been well - it always wakes up as soon as I hit the space bar.

Lastnight, before turning in for the evening, I put it to sleep. This morning it wouldn't wake up. I hit the space bar, pushed the on/off button, nothing. Fearing the worse, I pulled the plug and then after re-inserting it into the uninterrupted power supply, she booted up.

Did I do something wrong? Am I using the sleep function properly or should I just power her down before bed? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve

Cold Warrior
Jun 15, 2008, 10:05 AM

Sometimes they don't wake from sleep properly. This happens about once every 30-45 days on my MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo model. If it becomes commonplace, you may have a problem.

Instead of pulling the plug, you can hold down the power button for 5-6 seconds to force it to shut off (a "hard" shutdown).

What sort of peripherals do you have connected to it? Who makes the keyboard and mouse? Printers, external hard drives, etc.

Also, does Software Update tell you whether you need any firmware of software updates?

desmoface  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2008, 10:49 AM

Hi Cold, thanks for the reply.

I just got the computer on Friday. The only software I've installed is MS Office 08 for mac, and Photoshop Elements 6 for mac. It's using the keyboard and mouse that came with it from apple. I've got a western digital HD plugged in for the Time Machine, and a set of speakers. It's also plugged into an uninterrupted power supply, but I verified that it was working as the other stuff plugged into it was all getting power.

I did a software update on Friday and although it took a while to download everything, all is up to date - and I just did and update and it said all was well.

I kind of panicked and just pulled the plug. I should have got the little manual out and read up first. So, if it happens again, I'll just hold the power button down for a bit. Thanks again for the reply.

Steve

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 15, 2008, 05:44 PM

I've actually posted a couple of threads about this (with NO responses). I've held the power button for a LOT longer than 5-6 seconds without success. The only hardware I have connected is a Brother printer, a Belkin USB hub, and my keyboard and mouse. The apps that were running at the time of the problem have been varied, and include Entourage, Firefox (2.X) (both have been running in every case) and once I was running Word.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cold Warrior
Jun 15, 2008, 05:59 PM

Could be the USB hub. I'd try running for a while without that and see if it stops locking up.

idykenano
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2008, 06:55 PM

i used to have that problem about once a week with a powermac, it stopped when i unlugged the external harddrive before sleeping.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 15, 2008, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Could be the USB hub. I'd try running for a while without that and see if it stops locking up.
That's an idea...I'll have to change where the printer is plugged in, but that's not a big deal. The issue is so oddly intermittent that it has me baffled.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules