Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Weird Display Sleep Issues

Weird Display Sleep Issues
elbles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2008, 09:29 PM

Hi all,

I searched both MacNN and Google, and couldn't find anything about the particular sleep issue I am having with my few weeks old MBP, so I was wondering if any of you might have any ideas.

I have my MBP set to activate the screen saver after 5 minutes of being inactive, with the display sleep timer at 10 minutes. This all seems to work most of the time. However, there are often times when I'll come back to the computer after durations far longer than 10 minutes, only to find the screen on with the screen saver going. This seems to happen at least 50% of the time that I come back to the computer after being away for longer than 10 minutes, and I have no idea why. I do have an external display connected, along with a Logitech Bluetooth mouse, an Apple aluminum keyboard, and a Firewire DVD burner, and out of all of those, the only thing I can think of that might bring the display out of sleep would be the mouse, but I have not yet tested that aspect (i.e. I have not yet turned the mouse off -- This is my next course of action).

Also, every once in a while, I'll come back, unlock the computer from the screen saver, and the colors on the internal LCD will be off. If I activate the screen saver real quick with an active screen corner, and then move the mouse to disable it, the desktop returns, with the colors as they should be. I can't see the hardware being faulty in all this, or at least, I hope it's not a hardware problem. But if any of you have any comments or suggestions, they'd certainly be appreciated. Thanks, in advance.
Sean Elble
Current Mac: 15.4" MacBook Pro (Penryn), 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 200 GB HD, 19" NEC MultiSync 90GX2 LCD, Apple Aluminum Keyboard, Logitech Bluetooth Mouse, Motorola Q9c, 8 GB iPod Touch
Past Macs: 15.2" PowerBook G4, 1.5 GHz 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HD, Mac SE/30, Mac SE

elbles  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2008, 10:50 PM

After I found some time to look into this, it seems as just turning the mouse off when I plan on leaving the computer long enough for its display to sleep "solved" the problem. Why I need to do this now, when I could leave it on with my PowerBook is beyond me -- A bug report to Apple may be in order.
Sean Elble
Current Mac: 15.4" MacBook Pro (Penryn), 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 200 GB HD, 19" NEC MultiSync 90GX2 LCD, Apple Aluminum Keyboard, Logitech Bluetooth Mouse, Motorola Q9c, 8 GB iPod Touch
Past Macs: 15.2" PowerBook G4, 1.5 GHz 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HD, Mac SE/30, Mac SE

mkerr64
Senior User
Jun 26, 2008, 11:20 PM

i have a feeling that it might be something to do with hardware possible the mice or burner
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Forum Links
Forum Rules