Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 2.4ghz advantages over 2.0ghz

2.4ghz advantages over 2.0ghz
alexhunter27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2008, 07:28 PM

I checked to see if this question had been posted elsewhere but I could not find it. I f it has been I apologize.
I want to buy a new macbook but I am not sure which processor speed I should be looking at. I don't do a lot of video processing, but I surf the web and watch movies online. I also play rts games. my question is this is there great advantages to owning a 2.4ghz macbook rather than a 2.0ghz?
Thanks for all the help

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2008, 03:43 AM

Apart from +20% CPU clock those $200 also buy you:
• 250GB instead of 160GB HDD
• backlit KB

You don't sound like you're going to do anything very demanding. So the 2.0 GHz model would probably suit your needs. That said, unless you're on a tight budget I'd get the faster model. Faster is better. Faster means more longevity. And above all, the backlit KB is awesome.

alexhunter27  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2008, 06:56 AM

Appreciate the info I plan to do some upgrading of the memory and hdd on my own, but I had forgotten about the keyboard. Gotta have the keyboard

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2008, 10:35 AM

Yeah i went in for the 2.4Ghz for the HDD and the keyboard. the extra 400Mhz was just gravy.

I guess the keyboard makes it seem more like a MBP mini.

As far as performance i think ive reached a plateau as far as my requirements go. the only function that's slow is video compression, but apart from that everything works just as fast as i need.

Just be careful if you'e planning on upgrading the RAM to 2GB+, there have seem some issues according to reports and forms.

Cheers

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2008, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Just be careful if you'e planning on upgrading the RAM to 2GB+, there have seem some issues according to reports and forms.
Some issues? Do you have any links? We have a new MB at work with 4GB of RAM and it's been running just fine. The MBP next to it with 6GB has been doing equally well. No issues at all. What problems should we be seeing above 2GB?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2008, 11:52 AM

Urkel
Nov 9, 2008, 12:45 PM

Not only did Apple raise the base price on a current-gen Macbook from $1099 to $1299. They've also created another false value difference in Macbooks. Last gen Apple created the "Black Tax". This gen it's now the "Backlit Keyboard Tax". And in both cases it's a rip off considering what you get.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2008, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
Not only did Apple raise the base price on a current-gen Macbook from $1099 to $1299.
That's of course wrong. The entry-level price is now lower. There's a refreshed white MB for $999. Yes, you cannot get a unibody MB for $1099, but you can get an equally performing white MB for less than ever before.

They've also created another false value difference in Macbooks. Last gen Apple created the "Black Tax". This gen it's now the "Backlit Keyboard Tax". And in both cases it's a rip off considering what you get.
Then don't get it, it's that simple. A lot of people wanted black. Just like a lot of people will want the backlit KB. Apple knows that and knows they can make money with these features. This is good business. And you as a customer a free to chose if you want to pay that much for it or not. It's called free market economy.

Urkel
Nov 9, 2008, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
That's of course wrong. The entry-level price is now lower. There's a refreshed white MB for $999. Yes, you cannot get a unibody MB for $1099, but you can get an equally performing white MB for less than ever before.
Sorry, but I just don't understand the attitude. First you go yelling "newbie" at anyone who doesn't agree with you, and now you're throwing out an "of course that's wrong..." response without even reading the statement you're "disproving".

My original statement (which you even quoted) was "Not only did Apple raise the base price on a current-gen Macbook from $1099 to $1299...". And if you look at Apple CURRENT gen systems then the cheapest aluminum Macbook is $1299. $999 is for last gens white.

Then don't get it, it's that simple. A lot of people wanted black. Just like a lot of people will want the backlit KB. Apple knows that and knows they can make money with these features. This is good business. And you as a customer a free to chose if you want to pay that much for it or not. It's called free market economy.
Sure. And this is called a discussion board. Of course people don't have to get something they don't want, but this was a topic specifically about the differences between the two aluminum Macbooks. So why not participate in the discussion rather try so hard to squash them.
( Last edited by Urkel; Nov 9, 2008 at 09:02 PM. )

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2008, 09:24 PM

The $999 MacBook is totally a current generation system, and a great value. At $999 it is Apple's entry level laptop: what don't you get about that Urkle?

Oneota
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2008, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by dimmer View Post
The $999 MacBook is totally a current generation system, and a great value. At $999 it is Apple's entry level laptop: what don't you get about that Urkle?
The fact that it's technologically identical to the system that was available 8 months ago?
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2008, 11:38 PM

the $1000 macbookis a previous-generation mac.

shame apple is not taking the 12" powerbook, ibook, and previous-gen macbook users seriously, giving us a good-looking machine with a poor-color, overly-glossy screen and no firewire. hate that i need a small mac (for mobile projects) and might do the new macbook BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE. i don't want to carry the 15" (hey, it's a backpack life in nyc), and PREFER 'small & light'.

apple, wtf???
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2008, 03:36 AM

Sorry, but I just don't understand the attitude. First you go yelling "newbie" at anyone who doesn't agree with you...
Wrong again. Firstly, I never yell. My caps lock key is deactivated. Secondly, I don't do that with anyone, I did that specifically with you. For good reason. You're new here and yet you still thought it was a good idea to behave like an ass. You got called for it. End of story. Why bring it up again in another thread?

My original statement (which you even quoted) was "Not only did Apple raise the base price on a current-gen Macbook from $1099 to $1299...". And if you look at Apple CURRENT gen systems then the cheapest aluminum Macbook is $1299. $999 is for last gens white.
And again, that is BS. No matter how often you repeat it, write it all caps, or some other wee-look-at-me thing, it won't become true. The white MB is not some kind of last generation MB. It has been reconfigured, repriced, and it carries a new product ID. It is being manufactured and sold right now. It uses a CPU and chipset being sold by Intel right now. It is not bleeding edge, but absolutely state of the art. Nothing about this is any more last generation than for example the current iMac. You chose to call it that despite Apple making clear it's not, because you want to get $1299 middle class hardware for a $999 entry class price. Sure, don't we all. But to actually believe it should be that way is outright silly.

I also find it highly ironic that another poster who in another thread was complaining about how Apple was letting down the FW crowd with the unibody MBs is now complaining about how the $999 white MB is previous generation.

Sure. And this is called a discussion board.
You do realize how ridiculous it is when you with your month old history here mention that to people who have been here for about as long as anyone? It's that kind of snotty attitude that won't get you very far in any community. Be that online or offline.

Of course people don't have to get something they don't want, but this was a topic specifically about the differences between the two aluminum Macbooks. So why not participate in the discussion rather try so hard to squash them.
Oh that discussion would have been very interesting.

You however chose to derail it for your little rant.

Listening to people whine about how the Mac they want should be cheaper is asinine or boring at best. I've been here for too long to know how these discussions go down. You have nothing to offer except your little rant. You have neither MB nor do you have any facts to offer. You didn't even try to reply to the OP. Instead you just found another thread to have a little tantrum you have already performed for us elsewhere. And quite frankly, nobody is interested in that. So why don't you just cut the baloney and learn to behave like a mature customer. Buy what you like, don't buy what you don't like. But stop spreading misinformation because there are just too many people who see right through it. And yes, it's boring.
( Last edited by Simon; Nov 10, 2008 at 04:22 AM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2008, 03:47 AM

And just to emphasize this: the current $999 white MB is an awesome deal. On average it will perform just as good as the middle-class MB, it has the FW port that has been stripped from the other MBs and it comes at a price lower than any other MB ever has.

The only thing it doesn't have is the unibody enclosure. That costs an extra $300. Make of that what you want. But it's really that simple.

And if you want unibody at less than $1299 you will have to wait for another six months at least. Again, that's entirely up to you. No rant on any board is going to change anything about that. Vote with your wallet.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2008, 09:31 AM

And just to emphasize this: the current $999 white MB is an awesome deal..
an awesome deal is subjective while you propose that the 999 MB is a great deal (yes it is inexpensive) I disagree that its an awesome deal. I prefer the unibody make up of the new MBs. While I opted for the MBP, I was extremely close to purchasing the the MB. You failed to mentioned that the unibody model also has a vastly superior GPU and since more and more applications are relying on the GPU, its better to get the new MB over the old MB. Especially given the fact that its only a 300 dollar difference

As for the FW, many people don't care, and many people do, only the OP can make the determination if the lack of FW is a show stopper. for me, it wasn't but as I mentioned I opted for the MBP, not because of the FW but because of the dual GPUs
~Mike

Urkel
Nov 10, 2008, 01:39 PM

You're new here and yet you still thought it was a good idea to behave like an ass.
You do realize how ridiculous it is when you with your month old history here mention that to people who have been here for about as long as anyone?
I've been here for too long to know how these discussions go down.
If you feel that slapping a new sku number on the white Macbook makes it "current gen" then that's an opinion you are free to defend and discuss. But why start waving post counts as a reason why you are right and everyone else is wrong? ] There really is no correlation between post count and post quality, so as much as you may feel I am derailing conversations by not agreeing with your personal opinions, constantly slamming people for not having as many posts as you is a lot more distracting to a conversation.

You have nothing to offer except your little rant. You have neither MB nor do you have any facts to offer. You didn't even try to reply to the OP. Instead you just found another thread to have a little tantrum you have already performed for us elsewhere.
Why would you assume I have no Aluminum Macbook when I'm basing all my opinions on the Macbook I have in front of me. I even posted a picture of it out here.

And as for the topic, the OP asked what other differences are between two new Macbooks. I pointed out the backlit keyboard. Honestly, I'm not trying to make you blow your stack again, but do you even read comments before responding?

And quite frankly, nobody is interested in that. So why don't you just cut the baloney and learn to behave like a mature customer. Buy what you like, don't buy what you don't like. But stop spreading misinformation because there are just too many people who see right through it. And yes, it's boring.
Just curious, but why do you speak for the entire MacNN forum?

(To the rest of the board, I apologize for taking the bait Simon tossed out there but I just don't see the point of one person dictating which posts are useful or useless on an open discussion board.)
( Last edited by Urkel; Nov 10, 2008 at 01:49 PM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2008, 04:31 PM

And as for the topic, the OP asked what other differences are between two new Macbooks. I pointed out the backlit keyboard.
The backlit KB was pointed out already in post no. two. Long before you had your little rant. So tell us, do you read the thread?

OK, let's cut the crap. Your original post was a rant. It was entirely OT and served no other purpose than for you to vent. Bottom line is I'm tired of reading rants like yours in threads where people asked for actual information. Start your own rant thread if you wish. But please stopping crapping in every single unibody MB(P) thread with some rant about price or FW or whatever else that we've already heard ten thousand times before. This is not at all about shushing MB(P) criticism. It's about repeatedly posting the same half-truths over and over again regardless of the thread or topic at hand. It's a waste of other people's time it's rude to the people who are asking for actual information.

And for the record, there's no constant slamming or derailing at all lately. You made that up. I'm singling you out. You were being deliberately obnoxious. You will get called for it. Just like any other member would. The fact that you're new here and have yet to contribute something meaningful means you don't get any extra slack. No more, no less.

But this has basically all been said before already. Nothing new. I'm done with this bickering.
( Last edited by Simon; Nov 10, 2008 at 04:42 PM. )

roberto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2008, 06:52 PM

Not only did Apple raise the base price on a current-gen Macbook from $1099 to $1299. They've also created another false value difference in Macbooks. Last gen Apple created the "Black Tax". This gen it's now the "Backlit Keyboard Tax". And in both cases it's a rip off considering what you get.
hi ya'll

...a little late to the party, but you know what 'they' say! ;-)

for the record, i actually concur wholeheartedly with Urkel's sentiments (ESPECIALLY under these economic conditions)

i'd quite like a new macbook with the backlit keyboard (and extra RAM) but just can't bring myself to spending over THREE GRAND (nzd) on a _m_a_c_b_o_o_k_! (...don't get me started on the absence of FW!)

i'm sad to see trite comments such as "Vote with your wallet."

- call me olde fashioned, but i'd like to see companies 'do the right' thing in the first instance

-- seems like a krazy notion in this day and age thou, but i live in hope : )

i will however be buying the 2.0GHz offering on black friday which i'll pass on to my girlfriend as soon as the MBP supports 8 gigs of RAM : )

...oh and i REALLY liked Urkel's analogy to the 'black tax', which i actually paid further down the track!

ciao ciao

love'n'light to all

roberto

Forum Links
Forum Rules