Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Difficult time with choosing a baby mattress

Difficult time with choosing a baby mattress
thomspie85
Baninated
Jan 20, 2010, 02:39 AM

H, everyone ,

My wife going to be a new mom as of feb 7th and am really having a difficult time
with choosing a baby mattress. I understand that firmness is important to prevent
sids. She also have asthma and want to be sure the mattress is hypoallergenic,
etc.She really want to has peace of mind seeing this is her first time. I am sure lots
of women experience the same uncertainties, therefore any information you can
pass along would be a huge help.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2010, 03:00 AM

We have three kids so far (one still in a crib), and the mattress wasn't something we worried about too much. Since most mattress companies don't want to be sued for being a part of an infant's death, my opinion is that they probably make the mattresses in a way that is safe for babies.

What we did to try and reduce the risk for sids is whenever the infant was put to bed, he/she was always wrapped up tight (almost like a burrito) so that they couldn't move around and get into positions that would cause suffocation or head/neck injuries. We also kept the bed free of fluffy materials of any kind... no extra blankets, pillows, stuffed animals, etc. Just the bed, the sheet, the baby on its back, wrapped tight like a burrito.

Also, they came out with a study just as we had our most recent baby that showed that having a fan in the room decreases the risk of sids by up to 94% compared to sleeping without a fan. Here's a quote about it:

Notably, having a fan running during the sleep was associated with a 72% decrease in SIDS deaths in comparison to sleeping in a room without a fan. This was especially true for the use of fans when the room temperature was higher, and when the room was about 69° Fahrenheit (21° Celsius), fan use decreased SIDS deaths by 94%. This was also true for infants who slept on their sides, shared a bed with someone other than their parents, or did not use a pacifier
From here: Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Risk Decreased With Use Of Fan

Don't buy the cheapest mattress you can find, but also don't go out and spend hundreds of dollars on it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2010, 04:02 AM

So you need help picking out a mattress?

The ones you sell must be total shit then, if you're that desperate.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 20, 2010, 04:28 AM

The OP is a sig spammer based in India. Who sells mattresses and other hospital supplies. Banning hides signatures.

thomspie85, I'm sure it would be an even bigger help if I bought some of your mattresses. But I'm worried about the shipping costs. Even if they are priced low to start with, the standard 90-day shipping will make them cost more than a locally-made mattress.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2010, 03:32 PM

I would say, any mattress that fits in the cage and leaves room for the baby is fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules